[pp.int.general] I had this dream once...

Mozart Palmer mozart.palmer at pp-international.net
Sun Jun 30 17:30:16 CEST 2013

On Jul 1, 2013 12:51 AM, "Antonio Garcia" <ningunotro at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Factor that, Mozart. And please, do correct the numerous spelling errors,
grammatical misconstructs, and other artefacts alien to "Five Star"
English. I'm sure me and Mr. Natural share at least two other languages we
might feel more comfortable sharing thoughts with if you ever dare play
teacher again.

Nicely garbled and nonsensical. I do not mean this offensively: I literally
do not understand what you are trying to say.

> At this moment, the Pirate Parties simply do not know what to be. It is
as simple as that.

I find this needlessly presumptive. If I read the subtext (which is
dangerous, I admit) it seems like you think you know what we should be.

> Originally, as one can read in the writings of Rick Falkvinge, the Pirate
Party was (and still is in a few cases) a very pragmatic construction. So
pragmatic even, that it was strategically not viable because of the ethical
and emotional blunder of its master strategy. As much as it likes to boast
about the 2009 European election results... it came because of all but
pirate merits, concentrating all protest votes at a moment when protest
votes were politically possible due to the free publicity gotten with the
trial to "The Pirate Bay" that coincided with the period of the election
campaign. That advantage, and the funding and salaries that come with it,
will probably end on may 25th 2014. All other electoral results, before AND
after that one, have been the normal statistical noise of forceless fringe
party.

This I accept as a valid point and criticism. I am under no illusions
myself as to the electoral history of the movement --- one need only look
at the decline in PPDE's popularity.

> Got a very pragmatic pat on the shoulder a certain Saturday evening in
Brussels, to remember nothing has changed.

> Most of the other pirate parties have fallen prey to simplistic populism,
the kind that voted in as full member of the PPI the ultrasimplistic and
megapopulist Catalan Pirate Party because the look and feel was dear to
them... damn Statutes, damn logic, damn ethic, damn any kind of coherence.
And the very pragmatic Board and other bureaucrats of PPI and the German
Pirate Party are pleased to be able to ride that wave to their advantage,
as they feel that, the movement falling apart... Bundestagwahl and 2014
European Elections will be their last chance to grab a few practical
salaries. Money, money, money. It is the pragmatic focus behind PPEU (at
least until the grassroots populist mob took over the initiative and ruined
it even for themselves), it was behind the PP-SE idea of banding together
with the moribond European Democrats, and it guides the foundation of Young
European Pirates.

I don't underhand the obsession with Catalonia. I do not understand
Spanish-Catalan animosity either. I think this has harmed many of your
arguments as it makes you appear overly nationalistic. Simply an
observation as I can find no other explanation for your attitude.

I will note, however, that these appear to be problems for European Pirates
to deal with in Europe, as such squabbles have minimal impact on a party
such as mine which has always felt on the outer.

> Simplistic populism fails because its simple formula for equality is
mechanical... if we can't make everyone equally smartest, then we will make
everyone equally dumb, using mandatory lobotomy and forced intellectual
ostracism if necessary. How forced, if need be... I've been able to
experience in Brussels during the PPI GA of this year.

> I'm sure Mr. Natural can tell you more about it, he happens to handle
real sheep every day...

> The bubblegum does not survive contact with political reality. Bubblegum
is for Kindergarten :). Even PP-DE, both the populist grassroots and the
ultrapragmatic board, have yet to learn this lesson.

> Most pirate parties are "Bubblegum" at the moment, reason why it is so
popular.

> But politically counterproductive in very extremist ways.

I don't understand the bubblegum metaphor our colleague has brought up. And
I feel I understand it less now.

mozart.palmer at pp-international.net> wrote:
> > I think a lot of respect is lost by existing parties precisely because
they are not activists. They are complacent, believing competing for votes
every n years is all that matters. I fully support the duality of activist
and political organisation, and I think taking initiatives like this — or
at the very least investigating their viability — is exactly what Pirate
Parties should be doing. It's one thing to talk the talk, another to walk
the walk :-)

> I mistook "existing parties" for pirate parties.
> But that brings up the remarque : No that is not true per sé. There are
ecological activists parties, radical left, anti-capitalists and not to
forget, the extreem rightwing parties.
> The pirate party is NOT an exclusive activist political party nor an
exclusive peoples movement. Wishing, hoping, thinking or believing it to be
different does not change this reality. So in the end we are still dealing
with this 'perfect' pirate dogma.
> I belong to the 'bitter' pirate party, I am dealing with politics and
have to swallow a lot of this (shit) almost daily. I am not looking for a
active bubblegum substitute because it 'feels' better or easier. But yes,
getting that bitter out of my system once in a while with sweets is a good
remedie not to 'shrink' as a human being.
> There is a type of activism that forces 'the others' to react (the
abbusive activism). And there is the examplairy activism that shows 'the
others' how it is better done.
> When I hear pirates say : No politics, only activism. I do not share that
dream. For me activism is to anticipate / interact with daily life, nothing
more nothing less.
> I am not a different person as an activist or as a politician (I am a
pirate candidate for next elections).

International - General Talk pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net