[pp.int.general] Pirates and the 5 Star Movement

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 14:46:02 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet)
<rick.falkvinge at piratpartiet.se> wrote:
>> I am all for internal democracy but it is a difficult game to play,
>> with some learning required.
>
> It is crucial to remember that internal democracy is not and was never
> our goal. It is a method to reach our goal. A process. One of many.
>
> Our goal is to reform legislation to resonate with our values.

Hello:

When you talk about "our goal", are you talking about your national
party or the pirate movement? I find this wording confusing, and I
think that in many pirate parties "our goal" is also to have internal
democracy, ie. practice what you preach. Many pirate parties are using
internally liquid feedback and other democracy tools internally to
promote this kind of goal.

For me it's quite strange to hear that internal democracy is not a
goal for a pirate party, really. It might not be a direct or liquid
democracy internally, but the organization should at least be
democratic, with internal elections every now and then, and such. It
would probably be newsworthy to say that a given pirate party is not
democratic itself.

Furthermore, as I said many pirate parties that I know value direct
and liquid democracy, and they promote these values as much as they
can. And of course one very valid way of promoting it is to apply
these techniques internally, I find this to be the most natural thing.

One cannot vote *everything* in a political party. It doesn't make
sense to vote if I send this message or not, for example. But the many
important things can probably be voted, even if it might seem not the
most efficient way for you, and decided together by the pirates.

Regards,
  Eduardo