[pp.int.general] Formal protest from Pirate Party Australia

José Manuel Goig hosemanuelgoc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 19:10:24 CET 2013

2013/3/11 Maxime Rouquet <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org>

> On 03/11/2013 12:15 PM, José Manuel Goig wrote:
> > My suggestion on what PPI should do in this matter.
> >
> > 1. As the vote of giving PP-CAT full membership was against established
> > rules, PP-CAT full membership should be revoked and changed its status
> > to observer member.
>
> The PPI GA is the only body to have such power, but who would defend
> removing PP-CAT's Ordinary Member statute ?
>
> Entering this debate would eventually raise the question of the
> legitimacy of PP-ES's Ordinary Member statute. We should better not
> encourage both movements to fight against each other just to demonstrate
> that the other does not deserve to be Ordinary Member...

There is a great difference between PP-CAT and PP-ES. PP-CAT can only act
in the territory of Catalonia but PP-ES can act in all of the territory of
Spain, including Catalonia. So, in Catalonia both parties could stand for
election at the same time competing for the same electorate. This is so
because Catalonia is right now a part of Spain. Whenever Catalonia chooses
to be a "sovereign state", all this will change and there will be no
problem.

Be assured that I'm not against PP-CAT full membership by the way.

> > 2. PPI rules should be reformed to add this new situation of regional
> > independent parties inside one country.
>
> PPI Statutes took this possibility into account from the beginning, see
> paragraph VI. "Multiple applicants from one country".
>
> The problem here is that the writers of the statutes used the word
> "country" instead of "sovereign state", which allows a regional PP like
> the one of the Catalonia "country" to be recognized as an Observer
> Member too.
>
> Sharing one voice would be a strong and positive signal for the various
> local PPs in one sovereign state. It looks like PP-CAT, PP-GAL and
> others are willing to share one same voice ; and PP-ES too. They
> disagree on structure questions (federation VS confederation).
>
> Having pirates from abroad ruling on Spanish internal matters would not
> be right. It would be far better to have all these movements finally
> agreeing on a way to unite once and for all inside a (con)federation.

Here we have again the same old debate on what a "country" is. If the
Australian PP made a complaint was because they thought that "country"
equals "sovereign state". So we see that this is not as obvious as it could
seem at a first glance, and PPI statues should be reformed as to not
generate mistakes of this kind.

> > 3. New vote to give PP-CAT full membership again, following new
> > established rules.
>
> It would be likely to end up in encouraging sovereign state pirate
> parties to split into local pirate parties that will each one ask for
> their voice, and we might end up with a very messy PPI.

Having accepted PP-CAT as a full member, PPI is already encouraging
sovereign state pirate parties to split into local pirate parties as it's
happenning in Spain right now. Which one will be next? Italy? Belgium? Is
there a Scottish Pirate Party already? Is not Scotland a "country" like
Catalonia?

> > 4. We all learn from this, and gain experience for the future.
>
> +1
>
> > Of course, these steps should be done as soon as possible.
>
> A lot of people are proposing solutions to various problems. But taking
> the time of reflection before deciding can prevent additional mistakes.
>
> If we want to solve this problem, we should not urge ourselves to reach
> solutions, but let the members of all Spain's Pirate Parties discuss
> with each other and reach a compromise. (At least the ones who are not
> here attacking each other.)

As you can see, it's not only a Spain's Pirate Parties' discussion. It has
started in Spain, but it could happen anywhere else. Either this matter is
fixed by the PPI now or it'll pop up again and again in the near future.

> Regards,

Salut!

--
José Manuel Goig