[pp.int.general] Formal protest from Pirate Party Australia

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Mon Mar 11 18:14:52 CET 2013

On 03/11/2013 12:15 PM, José Manuel Goig wrote:
> My suggestion on what PPI should do in this matter.
>
> 1. As the vote of giving PP-CAT full membership was against established
> rules, PP-CAT full membership should be revoked and changed its status
> to observer member.

The PPI GA is the only body to have such power, but who would defend
removing PP-CAT's Ordinary Member statute ?

Entering this debate would eventually raise the question of the
legitimacy of PP-ES's Ordinary Member statute. We should better not
encourage both movements to fight against each other just to demonstrate
that the other does not deserve to be Ordinary Member...

> 2. PPI rules should be reformed to add this new situation of regional
> independent parties inside one country.

PPI Statutes took this possibility into account from the beginning, see
paragraph VI. "Multiple applicants from one country".

The problem here is that the writers of the statutes used the word
"country" instead of "sovereign state", which allows a regional PP like
the one of the Catalonia "country" to be recognized as an Observer
Member too.

Sharing one voice would be a strong and positive signal for the various
local PPs in one sovereign state. It looks like PP-CAT, PP-GAL and
others are willing to share one same voice ; and PP-ES too. They
disagree on structure questions (federation VS confederation).

Having pirates from abroad ruling on Spanish internal matters would not
be right. It would be far better to have all these movements finally
agreeing on a way to unite once and for all inside a (con)federation.

> 3. New vote to give PP-CAT full membership again, following new
> established rules.

It would be likely to end up in encouraging sovereign state pirate
parties to split into local pirate parties that will each one ask for
their voice, and we might end up with a very messy PPI.

> 4. We all learn from this, and gain experience for the future.

+1

> Of course, these steps should be done as soon as possible.

A lot of people are proposing solutions to various problems. But taking
the time of reflection before deciding can prevent additional mistakes.

If we want to solve this problem, we should not urge ourselves to reach
solutions, but let the members of all Spain's Pirate Parties discuss
with each other and reach a compromise. (At least the ones who are not
here attacking each other.)

Regards,