[pp.int.general] Reflections on the PP GA

seykron seykron at partidopirata.com.ar
Mon Apr 14 14:30:40 CEST 2014

Nice summary, thank you!

I would like to make a little comment on some points.

> 4. There is still the problem of what to do in case of a malicious
> attack on the GA. It is not that difficult to disrupt the
> communication link and then what should we do? Would the GA be valid
> if the remote participants were cut off from it? What if they were cut
> off not constantly - but often enough to make the GA again
> frustratingly inefficient?

Starhawk wrote a lot of articles about how to unlock issues and reach
consensus on a direct democracy-driven organization based on her own
experiencies as an activist from the 70s. IMHO this is the best one:

http://www.starhawk.org/activism/trainer-resources/consensus.html

However, all articles in that directory are brilliant.

> 6. I hope that much of the information exchange can actually happen
> outside of GAs. We can use the mailing lists for this. Maybe we could
> set up a new one that would be open to all pirate party members - but
> still have some rules that would fix the troll problem. Or
> alternatively we can also use the new Liquid Feedback system for this.
> In areas where we manage to reach consensus on-line - there the GA
> will be only a formality and it will proceed smoothly.

It's not a coincidence that you misunderstand "voting" as "consensus".
liquid democracy (as LiquidFeedback home page says) is not about
consensus, it is about vote delegation. Voting make losers. From
Starhawk's article:

"Voting is a means by which we choose one alternative from several.
Consensus, on the other hand, is a process of synthesizing many diverse
elements together. Voting assumes that people are always competitive
and that agreement can only be reached through compromise. Consensus
assumes that people are willing to agree with each other, and that in
such an atmosphere, conflict and differences can result in creative and
intelligent decisions"

It would be nice if you can consider this kind of practice instead of
classical voting variations. It is possible, in the PPAr we're writing
a paper about direct democracy practice implemented as a political
party (with a lot of historical references to understand the context
we're living on). This is the first revision on Github (in spanish, no
translations available yet):

http://is.gd/wO6g2d

Otherwise, I really look forward to see the results of this GA. You're
doing a great effort to build a common project :)

Regards,

Matías