[pp.int.general] Google Glass Out of USA

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 19:53:25 CEST 2014

On 4/14/2014 1:15 PM, pirate at valio.ch wrote:
> Oh nice.
> Established discrimination against cyborgs.
> Promoted by a "pirate".
> Don't get me wrong: I don't think we should say cyborgs are always good,
> without a proper discussion, but neither the opposite, especially as
> there are very valid cases for humans to become cyborgs (like they are
> disabled in reference to the "normal" human in some way). Cyborgs will
> increase in the future and it is certainly an issue to get a position.
> One that should probably come before promoting slogans like "stop the
> cyborgs".

It's not only going to happen, it already is. Think about it this way -
a lot of features we would have considered 'cyborg' in the 70s and 80s
are now done, with devices we carry around. the difference is only
'implanted' versus 'mounted'. Glass is an example of 'mounted' but you
can do it with a cellphone (I have an arm-mount for an android device
for when I'm doing mud-runs, I've used wearable cameras off and on the
last 15 years)

Some even goes back further than you think. My main education is in
robotics, and in 98 I had the chance to study under Professor Kevin
"captain cyborg" Warrick at the Uni. of Reading's cybernetics
department. it was too 'bio' for me (my focus is on teleoperation, and
safety interlock systems) so I went elsewhere but even then, 16 years
ago, it was 'happening'.

Also, did you see that nifty little device Snowdon was using a few weeks
ago, to get around SxSW? DEveloped by a former co-worker of mine, and
actually started from technology similar to Glass (we first tested the
system in 99 on a TV show - technology wasn't up to it then. Another
friend and co-worker from back then now works on the Kubi
(http://www.revolverobotics.com/) and used to work on designing
artificial muscles (http://www.artificialmuscle.com/technology.php)
(when he's not doing crazy things for Burning Man). Hell even my eldest
kids science teacher, here in rural Georgia, wrote papers on this sort
of thing back in 2000 (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=591894)

The 'kill the cyborg' mentality is... strange. Considering it's
basically a stand against technology and progress. It's the attitude
that gave us the Locomotive act in the UK in 1865, to restrict traction
engines, and which took 30 years to repeal. It's the same mentality that
now gives us the DMCA, PRoIP, SOPA/PIPA, the Digital Economy Act,
HADOPI, ACTA, the TPP and a whole lot more. You know, because new
technology is 'bad'

**Disclaimer** I was offered a Glass last year. I declined because a) I
didn't have $1500 spare, b) I saw no real use for it in my everyday life
(I don't even have a smartphone) and c) its right eye only, and I'm 70%
blind in that eye.

Andrew