[pp.int.general] Google Glass Out of USA

seykron seykron at partidopirata.com.ar
Mon Apr 14 20:30:53 CEST 2014

The point is not whether technology is "good" or "bad", but where, when
who and why it is developed. Thinking about technology in terms of
simple "progress" is, in my humble opinion, too much naif for this
century.

To block any kind of tech development because it is "bad" is that stupid
as to accept it without criticism because progress is "good". Social
development -in general- and Google Glasses -in particular- are within
an context in which many people have interests for different reasons
(money, prestige, power). Even scientists depend on funds and anyone
involved in research knows that it is necessary to speak about
"something popular" to gather funds. A lot of specialized literature
was written about it, I won't get deep into this topic.

Google Glasses... ok, Google's benefits comes almost exclusively from
Ads -come on, this is the only profitable Internet business by these
days, look into Facebook-. In order to raise benefits, ads must be
targeted as specific as possible to generate more engagement and sales.
With "specific" I mean that Google tends to build (and it does, for
sure) a single real-life identity for each user, with their interests,
circles, emotions, etc. Maybe you're happy with all the advertisement
that helps you to consume all that crap you don't know you need until
it brings just in front of your eyes, but I'm not. And I think that a
society drown by consumption (I am not against the commerce, I would
like to put it clear) is not a nice place to "raise children", because
values and symbols are tightly tied to trivial and empty products
instead of relationships. I think that products are great and I enjoy
my laptop and my ebook reader, but I look at them as simple accessories
and I have not emotions put on them.

That's because I think that Google Glasses does not promote values I
think are important to keep relationships sane and society strong, and
that's because I would block any attempt to change things in my daily
life in favour of that kind of new technology.

Regards,

Matías