[pp.int.general] Clarification on PPIT and EU elections?

Josef Ohlsson Collentine josef at piratetimes.net
Sat Apr 26 15:36:15 CEST 2014

Hi,

it's not always easy to classify who is running and who is only supportive
of another candidate for the EU elections. For Italy their involvement
seems to be the latter to me.

All the Pirates listed on http://piratetimes.net/eu14 are either running
directly for the EU parliament or with help of their candidates on a list
for a coalition. The exception to this is Estonia who is supporting another
candidate but gets some back if he manages to get elected.

 PPEE are campaigning for an independent candidate who supports the pirate
> program and has agreed to include a pirate advisor as a member of his staff
> if he is elected.

For Italy the situation is very unclear from an outside perspective. This
is a description by Carlo von lynX about PPIT's involvement.

our coalition partners from last year's campaign for rome got back to us,
> invited us to write the programme chapters on anything digital, even though
> we didn't do the formalities this time around, so we're not on the ballot
> and not officially a part of the coalition.
>
> One of the top candidates chose to become a member of the pirate party and
> another happens to be our last year's candidate for mayor of rome. not a
> pirate himself, but someone who learned to appreciate our passion and
> issues.

Here's another description of PPIT's involvement claiming that Tommasso
Fattori is registered as a pirate but only by name. That he has never been
discussing with them or mentioned PPIT
https://diasp.eu/posts/8e91c30313c35cb7 (Italian)

I tried finding out more information about Tomasso's relation with the
Pirate Party of Italy (PPIT). So far I have only seen claims from PPIT that
Tomasso is a pirate and that they are supportive of him. Also some pirates
doing work for the campaign but this looks mostly like an attempt to steer
Tsipras into more digital politics https://www.facebook.com/DigiTsipras

>From Tomasso Fattori I have seen *no public statement* about any
relationship with the Pirate Party Italy. Not even on his own website:
http://www.tommasofattori.it/

Thus my conclusion, until someone proves me wrong, is that PPIT is
supporting a candidate from another party that has never publically stated
support for the Italian Pirate Party. PPIT are not running for EU elections
- they are supporting a candidate that has good intentions AND PPIT is
working to lobby Tsipras further into digital politcs similar to theirs.

Kindly,
Josef

*Organizational Administrator for Pirate Times *http://piratetimes.net
Contact me for any questions or concerns and I will do my best to help you.
Also working as International Contact for PPSE.

*Other contact:*
Twitter: @collentine
Skype: josef.ohlsson.collentine
Cel: +46 73 824 9849 (text me, if urgent)