[pp.int.general] Clarification on PPIT and EU elections?

hyazinthe at emailn.de hyazinthe at emailn.de
Sat Apr 26 16:52:18 CEST 2014

I appreaciate that you address this issue.
My view on this:
Such "team-ups" of several political parties happen for a reason: They do so, because they have no chance to get one seat alone.
That's why I guess that one should evaluate such "team-ups" by their candidates, who are most likely to get a seat, if at all.
Italy will get 73 seats and has an election treshold of 4 %. That means:
- practically there is a treshold of 4 %
- if the team-up with the pirate party gets 4 %, then probably the three top candidates of the list of the team-up will get into EU parliament
>From this point on, there are 2 decisive questions, which help sorting this issue out:
1. Were these three candidates already in EU parliament in the last term ?
If YES, then the most probably success wouldn't cause a growth of people in the parliament, with whom pirates can live well...
2. Is a pirate among these three candidates ?
If YES, then it's clear, that you can classify this team-up as pirate initiative ^^ ...
3. The point you came up with: How much "pirate" is in the 3rd-party or independend candidates ?

So, who are the top three candidates of "the other Europe" ?

Aside of this:
This question "team-up or not ?" really is a very difficult question for a small pirate party;
doing a team-up is an extremely pragmatic step. Yes, one gets bigger and louder and has higher chances on a seat,
but on the other hand the complete appearance is not a pirate appearance; that raises the question, if it's not
better, to "just" get his 0,8 %, but therefore do the best step for building up a pirate party sustainable ?
Sometimes - when votes get extremely crucial and a lot of political huge threats are coming - it's better to head for
the extremely pragmatic way; this is a very self-sacrificing move, and as you see, it makes it very hard to
realize a vision where all pirate parties across the borders closely stick together as much as we'd like to; but
I judge no pirate party for doing this step...

Greetings,
/ aka Oliver