[pp.int.general] Răsp.: TiSA - New "Trade in Services Agreement" being negotiated.

ANDERSDOTTER Amelia amelia.andersdotter at europarl.europa.eu
Mon Apr 28 10:47:42 CEST 2014

Hi all,

If I could make a recommendation, please first establish what the actual problems are or could be. I've been on and off following TiSA negotiation rounds in the European Parliament (we are transmitted information by the European Commission), but it's often a bit tricky to know what the challenges could be.

In the field of ICT and electronic services, what are the European interests?

e-commerce includes also delivery services, parcels, et c. ICT includes authorisation to be a telecommunications operator (normally requirements for these licenses should be made transparent, as per the recommendation of the GNI, see also Pranesh Prakant's article below (attached). It apparently ran in NYT but I didn't try to find the link(!) :P

remind also that these forms of licensing requirements are also common in the European Union.

Other areas of interest: e-authentication, a field where EUropean constitutional requirements are often much more privacy friendly than equivalent demands in the US, where the industry is stronger.

One should look out for "fair process" terminology by rights holders and intermediary liability - what is the EU doing to protect that here? Referring back to the copyright consultation and particularly respnses to questions 76 and 73 would be good here (if I recall correctly, its somewhere between 72-77 in either case). If we can show that many citizens and stakeholders feel that intermediary liability for copyright infringement is unsuitable, then we could actually have an impact on that.

I think we may have a team working on automatic handling of copyright consultation responses now, but now sure how quickly they're progressing. You can anyway find stuff here for your own scripting foo: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/consultations/2013/copyright-rules/index_en.htm

best regards,

Amelia

=== attached ===

> As bad as the IT Act is, legally the government has done far worse.  In the licences that the Department of Telecommunications grants ISPs, cellular providers, etc., there are provisions that require them to provide direct access to all communications data and content even without a warrant, which is not permitted by the existing laws on interception.  The licences also force cellular providers to have encryption of less than 40 bits.  (Since GSM network encryption systems like A5/1, A5/2, and A5/3 have a fixed encryption bit length of 64 bits, providers seemingly use A5/0, i.e. no encryption, thus meaning any person — not just the government — can use off-the-air interception techniques to listen to your calls.)
>
> As per rules made by the government, cybercafes — but not phone booth operators — are required to maintain detailed records of clients' identity proofs, photographs, and the websites they have visited, for a minimum period of one year.  Under the rules designed as India's data protection law (oh, the irony!), sensitive personal data has to be shared with government agencies, if required for "purpose of verification of identity, or for prevention, detection, investigation including cyber incidents, prosecution, and punishment of offences".  Along similar lines, in the rules meant to say when an Internet intermediary may be held liable for a user's actions, there is a provision requiring the internet company to "provide information or any such assistance to Government Agencies legally authorised for investigative, protective, cyber security activity".  (Incoherent, vague, and grammatically incorrect sentences are a consistent feature of laws drafted by the Ministry of Communications a
nd IT; one of the telecom licences states: "The licensee should make arrangement _for monitoring simultaneous calls_ by Government security agencies," when clearly they meant "for simultaneous monitoring of calls".)
De la: Jack Allnutt [j.allnutt at pirateparty.org.uk]
Trimis: 27 aprilie 2014 21:32
Către: Pirate Parties International -- General Talk
Cc: Campaigns Team; ANDERSDOTTER Amelia; EU Election coordination group
Subiect: TiSA - New "Trade in Services Agreement" being negotiated.