[pp.int.general] “First European Presidental Debate” - twitter protests @19.00 ?

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:24:17 CEST 2014

On 4/28/2014 11:02 AM, James O'Keefe wrote:
> Hi!,
>
>     as some of you might already be aware the “First European
>     Presidental Debate” will take place without a representative from
>     the Pirate Party despite being in similar position as rest of
>     participants. https://europeanpirates.eu/popular-pirates-excluded-eu-debate The
>     live debate will start at 19.00 today @ http://www.eudebate2014.eu/
>
> Trying to get Pirate idea into the Twitter discussion is great, but here
> are some other suggestions from what the Greens (my former party prior
> to the Pirates) did in the past to get attention for their candidates:
>
>   * See if a student would give up their ticket so that a Pirate
>     Presidential candidate can sit the audience (to late, next one
>     hopefully)
>   * Show up at the debate location and get arrested trying to get in

If you remember this was tried with the 2004 US presidential debates, by
both the Greens and Libertarians. big difference then was the had filed
a lawsuit already over illegal use of Arizona money in violation of the
Arizona state Constitution (the third debate was to be held at a
publicly funded university, and Arizona's Constitution prohibited the
use of public money for only 'some' of the candidates on Arizona's
ballot (Bush, Kerry, and Badnarik the Libertarian were on the Az
ballot), and they were there trying to serve court documents as well.

They were arrested, but almost zero media coverage, despite the arrests
being in front of the media. Of course, the state of the media has come
on a bit in the 10 years since then, and it's harder to supress things
like that thanks to Twitter and facebook's virality, but it's still
worth knowing how it's happened before.

Andrew