[pp.int.general] resetthenet.. srsly? (was: Antonio)

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Tue Jun 10 18:13:19 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 04:13:46PM +0200, Cal. wrote:
> I feel you are both being a bit paranoid, and a bit misdirected.

Oh, it's been a while since the last time somebody underestimated
me sufficiently to call me paranoid. Pretty much since Snowden.

> There is an enormous difference between *mass* surveillance and
> *targeted* surveillance, being that???short of running to Russia under
> fsb "protection"???you cannot avoid targeted surveillance: that switches

Educate yourself about the BULLRUN programme.
Mass surveillance is happening also with HTTPS.
It was probably based on heartbleed, but I don't
expect that kind of approach to stop now.

There's nothing wrong with using more opportunistic
TLS, it's better than nothing. But the specific measures
suggested by resetthenet are not very smart. It would
be better to improve the situation on the browser side,
by distributing a browser that somehow accepts cacert.org,
or comes with a reasonable strategy to pin self-signed
certificates. Making an advertisement campaign for
certification authorities is a rather dumb choice of
strategy.

Certainly it's harder to challenge the powers that
control our apparently so free and open source web
browsers.

And of course it would be better to replace the entire
existing Internet with a rewrite from scratch, but
that's not what I was saying. Was I?