[pp.int.general] Update on Beppe Grillo and the 5 Star Movement

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Sat Jun 21 11:09:29 CEST 2014

Recent developments have answered some of the open questions some of
you had in 2013 concerning the 5 Star Movement.

By creating a rigged consultation, where only right-wing parties were
available as options for the Italian M5S members to choose from, Mr
Grillo has got himself his idea of support for joining UKIP's new EP
group that intends to include white supremacists and other right-wing scum.

http://openeuropeblog.blogspot.co.at/2014/06/grillo-joins-farage-but-ukips-group-in.html

Even after several Grillo publications whitewashing UKIP as a nice
and gentle political force, a grassroot consultation among M5S
activists still shows the UKIP alliance at a third place after
the idea of going with the Greens and Pirates. They would even
rather join the radical left:

	http://my.pages.de/tmp/sondaggio-M5S-europa.jpg

But on this important issue Mr Grillo has shown how his movement is
not in charge of its own decisions. Neither the base with its oddly
intransparent online consultations, nor the elected parliamentaries,
who are regulated to be Mr Grillo's puppets and thus will not be very
interesting conversation partners for our MEP Julia.

We should learn from last year's attempts to detour us from our way
of rightly keeping the distance from this formation. Those people
who intensely expressed their bad judgements on the situation should
refrain from furthering their strategic expertise to the Pirate
movement in its future endaveaours.

Of course they will, so it is up to us to muff our ears.

PP-IT is still expecting the M5S to blow up, either by implosion
or explosion, but somehow this thing is getting so gently
perverted, that its activists are getting used to the heat instead
of leapfrogging out of the bowl. Same so with the electorate.

After reading Swarmwise I realize Casaleggio Associates has employed
all the good ideas from it. They started 2009 just after the PP-SE's
peak success, inviting Rick over for consultations, and got a scary
lot of the things Rick describes right. But they also found subtle
ways to give the "leadership" aspect a not so benevolent dictatorial
taste. It's a very Italian thing - things you say and things you do
not being at all in line, and hardly anyone complains, because it is
so normal. Even the leaders of the "alternative left" do this, whatever
its name of the week.