[pp.int.general] Ukraine

Jelena Jovanovic jelena.the.one at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:45:01 CET 2014

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_03_03/Russia-has-a-natural-interest-in-the-peaceful-development-of-Ukraine-expert-6519/

in case you haven't see.
Its very good intw.

he BBC reported the Right Sector group was the organizer of the most
vehement protest rallies in Ukraine. In your opinion, why are Western
politicians turning a blind eye to the fact that many radical militants,
including from abroad, fought in Maidan protests in central Kiev?

The reports about militant support of the right sector are being mainly
reported by the Russian media and Russian media reported that wide area of
other supporters on the Maidan including students, the young parents, all
the people who are fed up with all the corruption and who needed a change
of the system were forcing president Yanukovich to resign. So, this is I
think in Russia media a little bit less aggregated, the influence of the
tribe sector, and these protests have been much more broad. I think the
western media aggregated it a little bit more pro-European aspect of this
protest which has been mainly anti-corruption and people wanted a change of
a system. So, I wouldn't take this fact that the western media and the
western politicians are ignoring for no the report of the militant support
of the far right sector too seriously and in fact many sited today also
that Russia has started some kind of informational war to try and discredit
the newly Ukrainian authorities that are trying to solve the mess that is
currently happening.

Some of these mercenaries are reportedly threatening the interim government
officials with violence. How would you comment on this? Is it possible to
restore order and stability in a deeply-divided country under such
circumstances?

It is very few reports right now, and I think if people have been really
threatened especially the officials that are trying to interact with each
other and trying to find the consensus inside the country, if that would be
really true, it would be much wider and much clearer reports about that.
There have been also reports about mistreatment of oppositional leaders in
the process of protests. A lot of people have gone missing and been
tortured. So, this is all not to overestimate. It is a complicated time
right now but I wouldn't think that the government is controlled now by
some strange forces. It sounds a little bit like a conspiracy theory. I
wouldn't believe it.

A leader of the Right Sector, Dmitry Yarosh, has appealed for help from
Russia's most wanted terrorist Doku Umarov. His address posted on the
social network VKontakte points out that many Ukrainians with arms in their
hands supported Chechen militants in their fight against Russians, and now
it's time to support Ukraine. How would you comment on these statements?

Dmitry Yarosh is clearly a dangerous man. He is a head of some part of
militant right wing association and luckily they are a very small fraction
of the protestors that went to the Euromaidan and he is fighting to get
attention at every price. He is a self-proclaimed leader, I don't think
that many people support the far right. This is the danger that they could
unite and be something moderate. But actually calling internationally
sought terrorist for help will not help him at all and everybody who had
any illusions that he is acting in the interest of Ukraine, are now seeing
clearly that this guy is only seeking attention and this will not lead to
anything. Three days ago he reportedly met also with Jewish-Israel
pro-militants and he is trying to get attention. Nobody knows if Umarov is
still alive since he has not shown any sign of life for a couple months now.

What do you think of reports that Euromaidan was sponsored by the West?

Sponsored by whom?

By the west, by NATO forces and Europe in general.

It is clearly not entirely true. There might be some cases of support. I
wouldn't exclude that but basically most people went to Maidan not because
they were paid by anybody or anything but actually because people are
totally fed up with the current life they had and needed a change and also
felt like after revolution of 2004 they have been betrayed by the results.
They are not seeing anything have changed since than. Since the government
changed its mind about what clearly seems to be like a majority decision
and showed themselves to be corrupt, they went to the street and I know the
Pirate Party of the Ukraine also distributed leaflets and tried to get
people out to demonstrate with slogans like "I am not pro-Europe, I am just
anti-corruption, I'm fed up, I need to pay school for my child to get
education. I am fed up of paying bribes to my doctor to get a medical
treatment". So, this is what drives the people to get out to the street.
There is no big scheme of financial support by some illuminati who tried to
destabilize the region.

What can be done right now to eradicate extremism in Ukraine?

What needs to be done is that everybody needs a little bit to calm down and
understand that Russia of course has a natural interest in the development
of Ukraine and Ukraine is also geographically between Russia and Europe and
it can't be taken separately, taken to one side or another. It needs to be
both. We need to talk with Russia and we also need to understand that
Russia of course has an interest in protecting interests in the region and
also it should not be talking about Russia but talking with Russia and it
is clear that Russia is executing a plan that has already been long set how
to react if things get out of hand, so they are executing it very precisely
and exact. I am very surprised that western politicians didn't have a
counter-plan in the suitcase that they could pull and react to that.
Instead it seems like people are running like chicken without thinking.
People should definitely start thinking instead of trying to escalate it
more than it needs to be done.