[pp.int.general] Pirate Party Australia resigns from PPI

Brendan Molloy brendan.molloy at pirateparty.org.au
Wed Feb 11 12:27:28 CET 2015

Dear members of PPI,

It is with a heavy heart I announce the resignation (termination of
membership) of Pirate Party Australia from Pirate Parties International,
effective immediately, as per a motion resolved unanimously by the
National Council.[1]

The Party no longer believes that there is any potential for reform left
in PPI, and we have spent all of the energy we are willing to in pursuit
of that end. This was compounded by the callous abuse of power and
outright hostile culture of the PPI board which has been very clearly
demonstrated over the last week.

However, building a new model for collaboration starts today.

Pirate Party Australia will continue to collaborate on international
projects, and we invite those interested parties to consider their
options. Pirate Party Australia will be working with the Icelandic
Pirate Party to conceive a Pirate journal project in association with
the Pirate Times which should allow a more in-depth view of the Pirate
way of thinking.

We are also preparing a shared resource portal for all Pirate Parties,
but it is of course very early days as we did not expect to be forced
into this position so suddenly.

http://pirateint.org

It is intended that the wiki provided should be used as a common
resource portal for Pirate Parties. Please do list your international
contacts, available translators and any other resources your Party would
be willing to share in order to support collaboration between Pirate
Parties.

We have migrated our proposal for a collaborative organisation to the
new, general international wiki. As we now no longer have the time
constraints of the broken PPI statutes to deal with, we can slowly
explore our future organisational options without pressure.

A temporary mailing list has been set up for the purpose of exploring
future collaboration options. Shoot me an email if you're interested and
I will add you.

Within a few weeks, we hope to have a Discourse[2] instance up as well
to provide a safe, relatively self-regulated meeting place to discuss
Pirate issues, provide a meeting point for international collaboration
and give us an opportunity to break with the past on a completely modern
platform.

Never forget that PPI is not the movement. It was meant to be an
organisation to help Pirate Parties work together. In the end, we only
ever did this in spite of PPI, not due to it.

You are also welcome to discuss this with us on our IRC network,
PirateIRC, which has been a cooperative effort between several Pirate
Parties for several years with no formal affiliation to PPI.

We look forward to you joining us in this exciting new opportunity for
the Pirate movement.

[1] http://pirateparty.org.au/wiki/Minutes/National_Council/2015-02-11
[2] http://www.discourse.org/

(This email also serves as our notice to the board.)

- --
Regards,

Brendan Molloy
President
Pirate Party Australia

M: +46 73 075 56 04 (SE)
W: http://www.pirateparty.org.au
E: brendan.molloy at pirateparty.org.au
T: @piecritic
PGP: 5721 8A69 1828 21E6

- --
Pirate Party Australia is a political party based around the core tenets
of freedom of information and culture; civil and digital liberties;
privacy and anonymity; and government transparency.

Donate today! http://pirateparty.org.au/donate