[pp.int.general] [pp-leaders] What have you done in 2015 to support copyright reform?

Mozart Palmer mozart.palmer at pirateparty.org.au
Tue Feb 24 00:34:24 CET 2015

I can't say that either Pirate Party Australia or myself have contacted our
MEPs, for obvious reasons. =P

Nevertheless, throughout 2014 there were concernsabout the Australian
Government's plans to introduce various methods of "tackling" online
copyright infringement, specifically including some sort of
three-strikes/graduated response system and website blocking that everyone
is by now familiar with.

At the moment, little movement has happened on these plans in 2015, but
Pirate Party Australia did do substantial work on this, including
attendance at a public forum on the issue, during 2014.

We have written submissions to public inquiries throughout 2014, and those
relevant to copyright reform include:

* a submission on the Attorney-General's Department's "Online Copyright
Infringement Discussion Paper" opposing graduated response and website
blocking, and
* a submission on the Attorney-General's Department's "Marrakesh Treaty
Implementation Options Paper" arguing for broad implementation of copyright
exceptions that would be compatible with the aims of the Treaty (which are
to improve access to content for the blind and otherwise visually impaired).

Both are available from http://pirateparty.org.au/submissions

As for copyright reform in 2015, we anticipate legislation on both online
copyright infringement and the Marrakesh Treaty within the coming months.
These are expected to be the subject of parliamentary inquiries if or when
they appear.

--
Mozart Olbrycht-Palmer
Press and Inquiries Officer