[pp.int.general] Recent events involving PPI

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 00:53:48 CET 2015

On 3/6/2015 6:07 PM, Jens Stomber wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> there are three things that you can do regarding PPI:
> 1. love it
> 2. change it
> 3. leave it
>
> Please make a decision and act accordingly. Do you represent any of PPI´s
> members at the moment? Do you take any responsibilities in PPI? if not, please
> stop arguing with Thomas and Gregory. Trolling is not a solution if you can´t
> get enough support for your arguments.

At present, actually, I don't know. As the Chair of USPP, I represent
PP-florida, which is an observer member. so....

I personally have tried number 2, and continue to do so. Especially as
PPI will n doubt continue to claim it represents the Pirate movement
internationally (which it clearly no longer does)

Oh, and 'trolling' is when a person who sows discord on the Internet by
starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,
extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a
newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of
provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting
normal on-topic discussion.

I am not starting arguments, I'm highlighting already existing ones. But
otherwise I'm just doing internally to the pirate movement what the
pirate movement is doing to politics in general.

Are you calling Pirates in general a Troll? Or is it only because it's
'one of your guys'?

> The pirate movement has unfortunately moved into a negative trend (Iceland
> seems to be the only exception). Hitting the PPI board aside of the official
> processes (GA, board meetings, motions, etc.) will even harm us more. Please
> keep calm and constructive and stop this shitstorm!

Do you know why it's in decline in many countries? Because certain
groups are not practising what they preach, or as the Scots would say,
'all mouth and no trousers'.

We are supposed to be a 'new way' of doing things, with transparency and
accountability. What you're talking about is "shut up about the bad
stuff, bury it and don't expose it because it'll make us look bad"
That's terrible short-term thinking. Just look at the UK and Operation
Yewtree, and now in the UK Conservative party over its actions in the
80s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_paedophile_dossier)

You might say 'but we're not talking about that, that's extreme', but
when does a little "acceptable" cover-up turn into a cover-up that's NOT
acceptable to you? Brings to mind the old joke

Man: Would you sleep with me for a million pounds?
Woman: For a million pounds? ok, I guess.
Man: How about for £20?
Woman: Of course not, what sort of woman do you think I am?
Man: I think we've already established what kind of woman you are, now
we're just haggling over the price.

Are you haggling with me?

Oh, and Iceland isn't alone in still ascending. PPUK's still growing and
doing better, and USPP's growing in leaps and bounds (our best election
result in November was 18% - imagine what we'd have done with that sweet
multi-party system you have in Germany, rather than having 50 distinct
separate systems, almost all of them specifically to prohibit any 3rd
party, and where money rules)

And I'll share with you one little tip, from my many many years in
politics, as well as the time I've spent in and around journalism.
Reporters are far more impressed, and react far more favourably to
entities that identify, admit and fix their problems than they do to
entities that ignore and hide those problems when they come to light.
This list's archive is publicly viewable, there are a number of
journalists on here as well. How credible do you think they will find
you as PPDE's spokesman on the NSA if they find your previous email
saying "shut up about our problems, you're making us look bad", after
all isn't that pretty much what Snowdon was told, multiple times, and
why he's being persecuted?

Think on that, eh.

Andrew

- --