[pp.int.general] Formal request

Gregory Engels gregory.engels at pp-international.net
Sat Mar 7 17:25:06 CET 2015

Dear Lisa,

with much astonishment I have read your request. Without consulting my fellow board colleagues,
I am eager for my part to answer to your request.

I am democratically elected into my office by the Member Parties of PPI. I honor their votes.
I was elected to manage the Pirate Parties International, according to the statutes and the
decisions of the General Assembly. From the bottom of my heart and with all my energy I am
following this task. I also have accepted my new role, not representing the board to the outside,
as I am no longer a co-chairman. I have supported the new co-chairs wherever they have asked
for any help and also put up suggestions and motions to the board on several occasions. In
short - I was elected for a job and I am doing it against all circumstances and evil winds.

I am not going to step down, because I have done absolutely nothing wrong.

There are of cause aspects that could have been done better, faster or more timely,
but you must also consider, that all board members are volunteers and are spending
their time and personal money for the sake of the organization. Also, the input from the
outside have often been demotivating and never acknowledging. Instead, outright lies
have been spread around and they have not been addressed by our co-chairs, even if
the board have explicitly tasked the co-chairs to reply to the untenable accusations.

I’ll take also the opportunity to make my statement about the claim of lack of neutrality
because, besides of being PPI board member, I on the same time are being international
coordinator for PP-DE (delegated by the Board of PP-DE). It was brought up again today
in a mailing list communication, that this would breach the PPI statutes, the provision in
question is read „The members of the Board shall consider the interests of the Pirate
movement as a whole and shall neither consider themselves, nor be
considered, as representing any particular Member or non-member Organization
or region“.

I’ll give you the list of hats that I wear in life, besides of being board member for the
Pirate Parties International:

I am also:

* International coordinator for Pirate Party of Germany
* First Chairman of the Pirate Party of Offenbach am Main
* Vice-Chairman of the Frankfurt branch of Humanist Union
* elected city councilor (Stadtverorneter) in the city parliament of Offenbach am Main
* President of the pirate faction in the city parliament of Offenbach am Main
* minority representative (acc. to §62 Part 4 sentence 2 HGO) in the city committee for environment, planing and construction
* minority representative (acc. to §62 Part 4 sentence 2 HGO) in the city committee for culture, school, sport and city partnerships
* member of the youth welfare committee (Jugendhilfeausschuss) for Offenbach
* member of the supervisory board of the Offenbacher Stadtinformationsgesellschaft mbH
* member of the advisory board of the adult education center in Offenbach
* deputy member of the advisory board for the protection of historic monuments in Offenbach
* deputy member of the advisory board of the communal job center in Offenbach (Eigenbetriebskommission)
* deputy delegate to the general assembly of the communal area computing center Hesse (KGRZ)
* delegate to the assembly of the Hesse Cities and Towns Conference (Hessischer Städtetag)
* delegate to the assembly of the German Association of Cities and Towns (Deutscher Städtetag)
* delegate to the Assembly of the German Section of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR)
* member of the German Section of CEMR committee for the German-French friendship (DFA)
* member of the German Section of CEMR committee for the German-Polish friendship (DPA)
* member of the Pirates without Borders
* member of the Association of Friends of the Pirate Party of Greece e.V.
* member of the Pirate Party of Luxembourg
* member of the Pirate Party of Sweden
* member of the Pirate Party of Russia
* member of the Pirate Party of Ukraine
* member of the Pirate Party of Switzerland
* member of the German Alps Club (Deutscher Alpenverein)
* member of the Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club e.V. (ADAC)
* member of the sponsoring society of the deer park „Alte Fasanerie“ e.V.
* member of the sponsoring society of the open-air museum Hessenpark e.V.
* member of the Hochbegabtenförderung e.V.
* member of the German Notes User Group DNUG e.V.
* member of Penumbra partnership inc.
* CIO of Engels Reisen GmbH
* CEO of Kompurity
* Managing Director Germany Aplana Inc.
* Conference speaker
* Conference organizer
* Book author
* A father
* A husband
* A home owner
* tax payer
* frequent traveller
* and last, but not least, a human being.

Rest assured, that in all and any of the above positions I am not steered by any higher instance, any complot, nor any conspiracy or religious belief, but only by my concise, free will and good judgement.

May I ask, in what function have you filed your motion before the PPI Board? So far I have only recognized you as one of Piratetimes editors, and it is hard to see, how your request is fitting into the self-acclaimed journalistic neutrality of a reporter, but surely you also have more hats that you wear in life?

sincerely yours,

Gregory Engels
Board Member
Pirate Parties International