[pp.int.general] Conflict of interest between national parties and PPI

Andy Halsall a.halsall at pirateparty.org.uk
Sun Mar 8 15:43:09 CET 2015

I'll just throw in that from the UK side (Where I and Jack were involved in
the negotiations, we were also limited to what party policy was at the time.
Our mandate was essentially ensure that the positions we wanted to see in the
CEEP were included where it matched other party positions and that the policy
set didn't include positions our membership disagreed with.

I know PPSE and others took the same approach as we spent a lot of time
reconciling positions and policies.  There were a few implementations of
policy that were more specific than our own positions, but fell within them
and of course we had to compromise - which generally meant removal of
statements, or slimming down of statements within CEEP.

The process was actually very good in that regard, and the end result was
fairly decent too given it was a negotiated set of policies - for us at least,
it also meant there was common ground for campaigning with other PPs, as well
as the policy positions that we presented in the UK as Pirate Party UK policy.

We were certainly not in a position to 'launder' policy, because the direction
of travel was one way, we couldn't commit the party to policy it's members
hadn't agreed with.

This is the same with PPI pronouncements, they won't make it into PPUK policy
either (unless someone goes through our process for introducing them, and
members agree), in fact I'm fairly sure we've instructed our delegates (and
yes, our delegates have been briefed in full when attending PPI conferences)
to either abstain or vote against these kinds of motions in the past, at least
under my tenure as int coord because they don't reflect member positions.

Hope that clears up any misconceptions (and obviously as PPUK isn't a PPI
member, and I am no longer PPUK's int coordinator, this is just a side note).

I'd also probably say that in terms of productive work, CEEP meant pirates got
together, discusses their respective parties positions, argued the toss on
various bits and did it online over a period of days. It's the kind of
cooperation we need more of as a movement, via whatever means, when it is
appropriate.

--
Andy Halsall
Pirate Party UK

+44 (0) 7505111705
+44 (0) 203 422 1330
@ajehals on Twitter

For more information on the Pirate Party UK, please visit our website at
http://www.pirateparty.org.uk.  If you wish to receive regular press
statements from the Party (or no longer wish to receive them) please email the
Press Office at press at pirateparty.org.uk.  The Pirate Party UK is a political
party registered at 202 Islington Mill, James Street, Salford, M3 5HW.