[pp.int.general] Spain just got 4 elected pirate councillors

michael john sinclair mickeyy_sinclair at yahoo.de
Tue May 26 21:07:59 CEST 2015

thanks

     Muriel Rovira Esteva <muriel at pirata.cat> schrieb am 20:49 Dienstag, 26.Mai 2015:

 Dear all,

I don't personally know the details of all the candidatures, but in the link below you have a summary of the candidatures supported by Pirates de Catalunya (I think there was only one missing):

http://pirata.cat/bloc/

>> How many of them were in a pirate list? <<

I'm afraid the answer is not binnary, it depends on what you mean by "pirate list". There were four types of candidatures and to me they are all quite pirate. I describe them here in detail so you can decide for yourself which ones fit your definition.  :)

1) "Hi donem suport."

We received a lot of calls for help from citizen candidatures and other assemblies to run for elections, so we decided to create a coalition with the generic name "Democràcia Municipal" (without the name "Pirates de Catalunya" in it) and offered it publicly.

This was a tool which would allow citizens candidatures to run for elections avoiding the typical bureaucratic obstacles that prevent them from participating (signature gathering in very short times, etc).

http://pirata.cat/bloc/?p=4755

We didn't force them to have registered members of Pirates de Catalunya among their candidates but we set the requisite that the candidatures included the pirate ideals within their programmes. The whole point was that they didn't have to run with the name "Pirates de Catalunya" imposed by us or include people that we told them (which is what most parties have been doing).

I understand that you could debate whether those are pirate councillors but, to me, they are. I don't need them to register to my private list and to run with my name to consider them pirates. If they are defending pirate ideals, that's pirate enough for me.  :)

2) "Candidatura 100% pirata."

Lists with 100% members of Pirates de Catalunya. We also created the coalition "Democràcia Municipal" for them so they could run with their local names ("Pirates of Whatevertown" instead of "Pirates de Catalunya").

3) "Agrupacions d’electors"

Citizen candidatures where pirates have been actively involved as self-proclaimed pirate candidates and making sure the programmes where pirate (as far as I know, this is the case of all exept "Gent d'Alella" which was created a few years ago before Mercè joined Pirates de Catalunya, so the fact of her being a pirate is unrelated to the candidature). I think most of those candidatures (if not all) included the pirate ideals as well, but I could be wrong because I don't know all the details of each.

4) "Confluències"

Coalitions of parties with Pirates de Catalunya being one of the participating parties. These included of course the pirate ideals as well as a hard condition for us to take part. Since our local assemblies have autonomy to decide how they run for the municipal elections, our GA made a manifesto months ago establishing the minimum conditions for local pirate assemblies to run in coalitions with other parties (transparency, primaries, etc).

http://pirata.cat/bloc/?p=4601

I hope this solves any doubts.  :)

Greetings,

         Muriel