[pp.int.general] Spain just got 4 elected pirate councillors

Dario Castañé dario at pirata.cat
Wed May 27 11:23:51 CEST 2015

For instance, I was elected as list leader of a "confluència" with 1.058
votes (6,39%).

This list was backed by Barcelona en Comú (what it was a bit of a
surprise given we had problems with them in Barcelona capital) but it is
clearly 99% pirate: participation, transparency and the commons were our
main “weapons” in debates and in our discourse. It is only missing the
pirate label, although local media call me “the pirate”.

I was voted as head of Decidim Igualada (We Decide Igualada) in open
primaries with 50% of the votes. It was a very short vote (four days
because our confluence process started too late) so the turnout was
kinda small (83 pax). Anyway, Igualada is a small town (less than 35k
people) and the participation was four times bigger than our usual
active group (~20 pax).

If you want more details, just ask :) It is a good experience. Now we
are working on our stable organization as a truly horizontal grassroots
collective, mixing offline and online participation methods and tools.
As much pirate as it can be!

Salut,
Dario