[pp.int.general] Communication Plan

Ray Jenson ray.jenson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:22:52 CEST 2016

As a serious response to Zbigniew Łukasiak, please allow me to propose the
following:

1. No voice should be more than any other, where relevant. If someone is
seriously proposing something, we should give it consideration, regardless
of who it is that proposes it. If we can't take it seriously, or we can't
support it, we should ignore it (e.g., "don't feed the trolls") or respond
with something that seems more acceptable. Given that this is not a verbal
forum, and that all subjects can be accessed and discussed openly, it
shouldn't require hierarchical mayhem to consider serious proposals.
However, a consensus in the majority should determine support. If it's
close, discussion might clear it up or it might not, but in any case,
tabling something that might be useful in the future is harmful.

2. The educational systems are geared to favor the wealthy, the politically
connected, and those being groomed for such things in the future. They are
operated by government, for government aims, within a government-approved
structure. Thus, correct and understandable grammar may not be possible for
everyone. We need to encourage these things, for certain, and help to
improve it through education. But we should understand just how atrocious
the system actually is before we bitch too loudly.

3. I'm opposed to this. I can filter out or include whatever rubbish I want
to. And occasionally, the trolls actually spark an idea with their
inconsequential drivel. We have twenty famous artists who support our
views. We have hundreds of people with no name who actively troll us. Which
voice is louder? Drown them out. The purpose of an open forum is to
encourage participation. Trolls will be trolls. They want to paint the
world as lame, because that's the only thing they see. It's what they are
inside. It's merely a reflection on them of how the world within them has
taken shape. Truly, I pity them. They are weak, mentally-ill, and
self-absorbed to the point of failure. So they try to take it out on
others. So what? No action was taken. Endure the heat and pressure. Heat
and pressure are what make diamonds, the most valued commodity in the world.

You can't moderate an automated remailer, even if you can moderate forums.
Once posted, the email forwards to everyone on the list. People of the
older generations will tend to want to interact with the same modicum of
respect and humanity we were raised with. But the younger generations
always rebel against it until they become the older generations, and
remember that they were always respectful and human.

If you delay the emails from going back out, you weaken the system and open
up a vulnerability.

The only solution is to grow thicker skin. This means we simply have to
tolerate what is protected as free speech, and to report what is not.The
originating country's laws (where the sender lives) is usually the only
entity that can actually do anything. And even then, it's hard to actually
have anything meaningful happen. And the trolls know it.

So they will continue, until we weaken the system through selective
disbursement, then they can claim freedom of speech and enlist hackers to
DDoS or break the servers on which the email is found.

Mahatma Gandhi's words come to mind: "First they ignore you, then they
laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." (No, Trump didn't
originate that, in spite of what he thinks.)

----
Ray Jenson