[pp.int.general] Cooperate with activist network DiEM'25 for more democracy in EU? (Varoufakis)

Matthijs P matthijspon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:59:22 CET 2016

Dear pirates.

I just read that Yannis Varoufakis is launching the pan-European
activist network DiEM25 for more democracy in Europe on 9 feb 2016 in
Berlin:
http://www.cityam.com/231653/brace-yourselves-former-greek-finance-minister-yanis-varoufakis-is-launching-his-own-political-movement-diem-25

I think it makes sense to look for collaboration with this activist
network. I see a lot of similarities in the goals of DiEM25 and our
foundation of empowerment, and goal for more democracy:
- DiEM25 wants more democracy in Europe (which is one of our key issues too)
- DiEM25 wants less fragmentation in Europe (which is quite comparable
to 'Europa Grenzenlos'
- DiEM25 / Varoufakis seem to focus on decentralization of power,
which I think can be seen as the foundation behind our principles:
empowerment is practically the same as empowerment (see Rick
Falkvinge's piratewheel: https://falkvinge.net/pirate-wheel/ ) and my
personal view on this:
http://piratetimes.net/the-power-of-ideas-to-replace-the-idea-of-power/
- Varoufakis is more an activist than a politician, and now explicitly
calls DiEM25 an activist network (wich is quite comparable to 'we are
activists running for office'

Please let me know how you think about this.

--
kind regards,

dr. Matthijs Pontier
www.linkedin.com/in/matthijspontier