[pp.int.general] Fwd: stance on fairsharing / culture flatrate /levys

Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) rick at piratpartiet.se
Tue Mar 27 19:58:02 CEST 2007

In Sweden, we're saying that the whole "right to a revenue" mindset must drop (and therefore levies). No other obsolete business has the privilege of being paid by its successor. It's remarkable that the copyright lobby has succeeded with this - no one else has:

Where is the refrigerator levy that goes to icemakers?

Where is the automobile levy for stablemen?

Where is the electricity levy for the streetlamp lighters' union?

Or perhaps most fittingly, where is the levy on soda bottles for the milkmen's association?

No business has the right to tax the public or the business that replaces it. We're saying that the levy is an obstacle to culture exchange, and that it's deeply immoral to imagine somebody having a RIGHT to get money from their replacer's business, and therefore cannot be defended from any standpoint. It needs to go.

Rick