[pp.int.general] Fwd: stance on fairsharing / culture flatrate /levys

Peter Liddell pj.liddell at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:29:42 CEST 2007

But that raises the question of weather it is obsolete. There is still music
and movies to be made. The question that we have to ask is if those who
create it have a right to be payed like a baker has the right to be payed
for his bread.

However this brings up another point in its self. If a baker bakes a loaf of
bread he can only sell that loaf once, as such he can only get payed one.
But when a musician writes a song it can be sold an unlimited number of
times.

Personally I believe there is need for the artist to have some financial
gain from it. But I certainly wouldn't support levies on blank media as it
is a completely ridicules idea. There is no way to monitor where the money
should go, no way to ensure that only those who use it for copyright
material get charged and would add unnecessary charge to something which can
already be expensive.

Pete
PPUK