[pp.int.general] Lissabon Treaty: very bad news

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Wed Apr 23 18:29:03 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: David Golden <david at oldr.net>
Enviado: miércoles, 23 de abril, 2008 11:40:24
> Note that  pirate parties can oppose the Lisbon treaty on quite straightforward logical grounds, no particular need get
> into ranting about the growth of global corporatism (however right that may be):
>
> The Lisbon treaty, in most european countries (I think the UK and Poland opted out?), would enshrine the  "EU Charter
> of Fundamental Rights" (often deliberately confused with the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights", but there are
> differences!) into law.
>
> Refer to article 17, paragraph 2 of that charter.  Here it is in full:
>
> "2. Intellectual property shall be protected."

I do agree: this is fully rejectable.

> Now, of course "what? You're against Fundamental Rights? For shame!" could be a cry of some opponents - but plenty
> of unjust "rights" have disappeared through history (right to own "human property" (i.e. slaves) being the big obvious
> one)

In PIRATA we take UDHR -and not EUCFR- as a model for civil rights and liberties; and UDHR declares in article 27 "the right to the protection of the moral and material interestsresulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of whichhe is the author", never talking about intellectual property.

All this stuff is finally about which model do we want for the EU; definitely, as with future Pirate Manifesto, while one can find himself not agreeing everything, at least to sign a document should not disagree with anything. If we disagree with some parts of Lisboa Treaty, I believe it should undoubtably rejected. Regards,

                                                                                  Carlos Ayala
                                                                                   ( Aiarakoa )

                                                         Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

P.D.: Here in Spain, European Constitution was passed with the support of just 32 % of citizens with right to vote -compare that percentage with the 60 % of citizens with right to vote who supported Spanish Constitution, to see how ridiculous the support to European Constitution was-; however, and to avoid any risks of having the same result than in France or Netherlands in 2005, PP and PSOE -two biggest Spanish parties- seem to have agreed not to make a referendum.