[pp.int.general] Purpose of copyright

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Aug 23 16:40:26 CEST 2008

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Christian Engström <christian.engstrom at piratpartiet.se>
Enviado: sábado, 23 de agosto, 2008 14:46:32
> I think Carlos is right when he says that a European Pirate Manifesto
that allows every single
> pirate party to look at it and say proudly
"this is my manifesto" is a good thing, if and when we
> can agree on
one. However, if it turns out that we need more time to come up with
such a
> manifesto, I see no particular harm in putting that work on the
back burner for a while

One main reason for Pirate Manifesto to not being ready for Uppsala Meeting was that not even the members of the Berlin Task Group were available to define the pending issues before starting the Manifesto development -we instead did it in July, and reasonably quickly-. It's inconsistent to state that "too much time was needed to come up with such a manifesto" when you contributed to that delay -nonetheless, as I showed in other mail, Amelia Andersdottir told me that neither Rick nor you reported Piratpartiet about Berlin agreements regarding Pirate Manifesto-.

> Right now, it is less than 10 months to the European Parliament
election, which means that we
> will probably want to focus most of our
energy on that, in each of the individual member states.

In February were 16 months available, and instead of finding out who was guilty of such delay, we have fought hard to get where we are now -with the common stances clear, and ready to start with literature (a considerably faster process)-. However, if you insist about the "there is no time" argument, I can easily state that:

- by Saint Petersburg meeting time we'll be able to work on a political platform, a true comprehensive platform (with its summary for readers with less time available);
- we'll have then half a year to promote it;
- that's perfectly available with the Pirate Manifesto; nevertheless Stage One is almost ready

Finally, one would expect from the largest pirate party to have some kind of main role in the Pirate Manifesto development, instead of having its Chairman openly declaring their disengagement. Even with that disengagement has the First Draft made its way; if Piratpartiet cooperates, things would be done quicker.

> The way I see it we are already sufficiently agreed on what constitutes
the pirate ideology to be
> able to speak with conficence about a united
international pirate movement. This is a good
> thing, and something we
can all use in our respective national campaigns in whatever way is
> useful in each individual member state.

> I think we all agree in what direction legislation in Europe should
move in order to promote
> freedom. This is good.

In a general manner, maybe. However, as you weren't present in last Pirate Manifesto's meeting -though both Mab or Bjorn should have told you-, you seem to be not aware that reaching an agreement in particularly controversial issues wasn't that easy. Debate was essential, really needed, and avoiding and delaying it proved last wednesday to be not recommendable.

By the way, we did reach the remaining agreements after a marathonian 6-hour session. It took quite much effort, though finally for good.

> The focus now should be
to get into the European Parliament from as many member states as
> possible. Once we have achieved that, we can really start to make
things happen in the political
> debate in Europe

It may be done simultaneously with the Pirate Manifesto process -specially after having the common stances already found out-; and this time, please, let's gonna be sure that we develop the EU platform in a way that allows pirate parties both to participate in its development and also to formally sign it, demostrating their approval -or rejection-; this is usually achieved by developing the text before the meeting -so representatives just attend the meeting to formally sign the document-. Regards,

                                                            Carlos Ayala
                                                            ( Aiarakoa )

                                        Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

Correo Yahoo!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.es