[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sat Dec 27 11:44:17 CET 2008

Hi Richard,
Recently, there have been several commens on the role of lawyers on this
list. being one of them, I owe you an explanation.
1. The purpose of politics is to make or change laws (in a democratic
manner). The present law obviously can not be decisive for making new laws -
that is indeed a common mistake, and you are right to point it out.
2. Still it must be acknowledged that copyright etc. are subject to
international treaties, notably the Berne Convention (+Paris for patents),
and TRIPS. For Europe, there are European directives. Changing these is not
impossible, but very hard, in particular because thedemocracy at this level
is deficient (PP must change that! in EU in particular), and the currently
prevailing direction is towards more and stronger protection.
3. Furthermore, there are human rights, either codified or non-codified. If
one concludes that a human right should be changed, one should think twice -
and investigate the reason for such a right. Some human rights provisions
can be changed by a (complicateed) democratic process, but others can't,
like the first 20 articles of the German constitution - which include the
"protection of property" provision.

And of course, conceivably there are non-legal options too, from civil
disobedience to revolution.

Abolishment of existing copyrights (not the "abstract" law, but concrete
rights owned by individuals pertaining to specific works) without full
compensation can ONLY be achieved by the kind of "non-legal" methods I just
described. Is the PP aiming at a revolution? Judge yourself.

But - to end with better news - *even* lawyers increasingly consider the
*application* (exercise) of specific rights inappropriate, either for humn
rights or more down-to-earth competition law reasons. In this approach the
right itself is not questioned, but certain ways to exercise it are deemed
in appripriate, and eventually illegal. E.g. copyright may not be used to
obstruct the freedom of information human right unduly. Microsoft may not
abyuse its patents to block competition. And so on.

So lawyers are not just obstacles for PP objectives, they also can bring
solutions!