[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Mon Dec 29 17:23:05 CET 2008

Sorry, I believe one of the central purposes of PP is to oppose RIAA and IFPI. Well, they may have more dollars, but on the other hand PP is more popular. RIAA and IFPI have a very negative image. And remember, thee software patent directive was rejected by activism, against Microsoft, Siemens and Philips.

IMHO this shouoldbe the focus of PP, rather than "human rights". In some interpretations, human rights "require" all works to get strong and long copyright protection! And in the debate about data retention vs. privacy, the proponents of data retention explained that DR helps to protect the human rights, of citizens against terrorists, and of artists against "theft" of copyright.

In sum, the human rights argument is 1) weak, because often abused 2) even dangerous because it could equally serve as an argument PRO copyright and patents!

reinier