[pp.int.general] !! Denmark censors Internet, blocks The Pirate Bay

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Mon Feb 4 18:38:14 CET 2008

Carlos Ayala wrote:
> [...]
The simple DNS blocking is trivially easy, and completely legal to work
around.
> It is true that such measures can be circumvented, like DRM. However,
> at least in Spain, circumventing DRM is a crime -article 270.3 of
> Spanish Penal Code (in Spanish)
> <http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Penal/lo10-1995.l2t13.html#a270>
> (Spanish common law); not just using circumvention tools, but just
> having them-, so we in PIRATA think that circumventing is not a
> long-term solution -also we think that it's a dangerous path to say
> "web blockade? never mind! it can be circumvented" because it would
> happen exactly the same that happens with filesharing (in Spain, as
> filesharing legal status is somehow unclear, some people uses to say
> "no problem, if filesharing is illegalized I'll continue filesharing,
> as long as I'm not going to be catched by justice")-.
Although I tend to think that Denmark is one of the most repressive
regimes in Europe regarding copyright, it is actually legal to own
circumvention tools here. It is also in some special cases legal to use
these tools to circumvent DRM, for example if it is needed to view
legally purchased DRM content. Our local Linux users group has quite a
bit of political influence, and they got a bit angry when our government
wanted to outlaw Linux DVD players because they were not officially
approved players.

Although I have the flu right now, I'm trying to get a demonstration
arranged here in Denmark to protest this. But this should be arranged
with our local pirate activist group (piratgruppen.org), and they are
extremely busy talking with the press right now. I hope they will call
me back in a few hours so we can set a date and time.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.