[pp.int.general] !! Denmark censors Internet, blocks The Pirate Bay

Ole Husgaard osh at procard.dk
Wed Feb 6 19:18:11 CET 2008

Ricardo Cristof Remmert-Fontes wrote:
> Ole Husgaard wrote:
>
>> And today I had to give up on arranging a demonstration against the
>> internet censorship. Problem is that without the danish pirate group
>> (piratgruppen.org) I can only find half a dozen people who want to
>> participate. The danish pirate group does not want to participate in a
>> demonstration because they think some other things should be done first.
>> One of these things is to set up a web site educating people on how to
>> circumvent the blocking of TPB.
>>

> What about PROSA? What about FFII, green party, liberals? what about
> http://www.digitalrights.dk/

Unfortunately I have the flu right now (slowly getting better), so I
have not had the energy to find new contacts for participation in the
demonstration, and only used contacts I already had.

The green party is almost non-existant in Denmark. They never were in
parliament. When they were founded, all the other parties turned green.
The liberal party wouldn't support this, but the party has to some
extent dropped their liberal politics to better stay in power. Many
liberals feel betrayed by the party.

For demonstrations like this, the youth organizations of the parties
could be useful. I have to create contacts with them.

Some of what piratgruppen.org has been done seems to be very helpful.
The (small, 4% market share) ISP Tele2 has blocked access as they have
to. But they are one of a group of three ISPs, and the two other ISPs
have not started blocking, as have no other ISPs I know of. The telecom
business association has held an emergency meeting to discuss the case.
It looks like this time the blocking will actually be challenged in court.

PROSA is quite powerful. A bit off-topic, but I mentioned the Berlin
conference on a closed mailing list for people interested in IT
politics, and late yesterday night I heard that somebody from PROSA
found it so interesting that they plan to offer a field trip to Berlin
for their members where they can see and hear the Pirate Party in Berlin
and other interesting or related organizations. I heard they are sending
a person to Berlin tomorrow to check things out and do arrangements.

> Ok, within the AK Vorrat we found the idea of organizing parallel
> demonstrations in all european capitals at the same day nice, but we
> planned this for summer or something.
>
> About this urgent issue, I will send an alert to two different
> international distribution lists: EDRi and the ad-hoc-working group we
> found, and which actually got a name: "International Internet Defenders
> Platform" (IInDeP.org).
>
> We wil concentrate on coordinated european-wide demos in summer, but
> this time, press-releases will be an adequate way.

Yes, coordinated demonstrations would be a very powerful tool.

One lesson I have learned this week, which I think everybody should have
in mind: Get all the contacts to all organizations who might support the
demonstrations in place long before they are needed. When a
demonstration has to be arranged there is not enough time to create new
contacts, and everybody will also be busy with other things that needs
to be done because of the event leading to the demonstration.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.