[pp.int.general] (According to Freedom House) If you live in Sweden, Netherlands or Denmark, you live in happy Arcadia

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sun Feb 10 04:44:42 CET 2008

It's amazing :_)

I was talking with some folks in a Spanish famous digg-like website called meneame -about what a democracy is-, and one person stated that the most accurate & scientific approach to such concept was conceived by Freedom House.

These nice folks of Freedom House state that -for instance- Spain got maximum qualification -12 out of 12 points, and 16 out of 16 points- in subjects like functioning of government -in spite of pervasive corruption in local public offices related to building industry, and severe lack of government accounting and transparency-, freedom of expression and belief -in spite of LISI and recent controversy on education issues- and associational and organizational rights -in spite of existing RMOs making their will, with no real freedom for creation of new, small, innerly democratic, transparent working RMOs-. Amazingly we the Spanish -always according to Freedom House- got more points than France, USA, Japan, Italy ... considering Spanish rights&liberties troubles, such important countries have to be really bad for such analysis to be true ... eww ... not quite believable, isn't it?

But it's not only about that: Freedom House states that Scandinavian countries -Iceland, Sweden, Norway and Finland- got 100 out of 100 overall points, a perfect score -it means that you seem to live (according to Freedom House) in happy Arcadia-, and other countries like Netherlands, United Kingdom and Denmark -with scores from 98 to 99 out of 100- are quite close to that paradise. So Ole, don't worry about the Pirate Bay thing; peolple from Piratpartiet, don't worry about the surveillance proposals of Swedish government for copyright law enforcement; folks, don't even think about Data Retention directive, nor airport's data recording, nor about anything ... I mean, I knew that scandinavian democracies have better health that mediterranean ones but, according to Freedom House, even those concerns must only be glitches of Matrix, aren't them?

I believe it's so pitiable to read such things ... I have to say it's not a horrible survey, I mean, you can check at a glance -with a somehow bold approach- which countries are currently 'democracies' -EU countries, Switzerland, USA, Australia, etc- and which countries are not; however, I smell like a scent of satisfaction from this work's authors, like 'hey folks we're the first world, we are the good guys, follow our example ... rule of the law breaches in our countries? c'mon, those're mere nothing, folks!' ... such lack of self-criticism is, I think, so worrying ...

... because while western regimes laugh at dictatorship-driven countries, we seem to being swept along silently into a dangerously subtile kind of freedomless regime -because like in orwellian nightmares, the worst cages and handcuffs are the unseen ones- ... regards

                                                                                       Carlos Ayala
                                                                                       ( Aiarakoa )

                                                              Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

P.D.: Anyway, let's gonna leave those Freedom House guys believe in Arcadias ...