[pp.int.general] Political Party X (was: Uppsala Declaration)

Mårten Fjällström marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se
Tue Jul 1 03:54:14 CEST 2008

Max covered the procedural questions well. If there is more questions as
to how the document was produced, I will be glad to answer them. The
important thing is that no matter what I called the document, and no
matter how I phrased things when I was tired silly, it is still a
non-binding starting point that you are free to use, or not use. If you do
not want to use it, fine.

In general, I think documents has a tendency not to get finished unless
you press the matter, therefore I am glad that we finished the Uppsala
Declaration. Of course we can make further documents and make up fancy
names for them too. I prefer to have a number of finished documents, and
let later versions replace older ones, rather then having a number of
unfinished documents.

Regarding the parliamentary group, unless we get enough seats we can not
form a group of our own. The conference concluded that the prospect of us
forming a group of our own after the election in 2009 is not very
realistic.
(wikipedia: "To form a political group in the European Parliament there
needs to be 20 MEPs from six different states."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Inscrits )

There is of course the option of staying independent within the
parliament, which is a rather poor choice if we want to affect any change
at all.
(wikipedia: "Groups get money and seats on Committees which Independent
members do not get"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_political_group#Heterogeneous
)

As to the objection that we are going to be sucked up into the group and
loose all identity, consider this: Are Convergència i Unió and Partido
Nacionalista Vasco considered the same party in Spain? Is it even known
that they are in the same european parliament group (ALDE)? I would say
that the EP groups are barely known outside of the parliament and
therefore the risk of getting considered to be a bad copy of a greater
party or getting consumed by the group is very slim.

And finally, we did get quite some media attention with the conference, at
least in swedish media. This morning almost all newspapers ran some
version of news agency story this morning about 1) that Piratpartiet had
had a conference in Uppsala with "like-minded parties" and was going to
run for EP 2009 and 2) that Piratpartiets chances has increased due to the
public resitance against the "FRA law" (the general wiretapping law) and
Piratpartiets role in getting that resistance going. It is easier to get
media attention if you have something to show (be it a roof, be it a
chair) and this played a not insignificant part in the planning of the
conference.

Regards,
Mårten Fjällström
Party Secretary