[pp.int.general] Uppsala Declaration

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:05:27 CEST 2008

2008/6/29 \"Mårten Fjällstr\"öm <marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se>:

> we have now finalised a European Pirate Parties Declaration of a basic
> plattform for the European Parliaments election of 2009, wriiten in Uppsala.

Greetings everybody,

we French pirates have been veeery busy in our personal/professional
lives these past few weeks, and therefore not only couldn't we join
you in Uppsala, but we couldn't even take the time to write something
decent enough to send you guys.

I've posted the Uppsala declaration on our forum, and my fellow
pirates are discussing it right now. Strictly *personally* speaking, I
really like this text, which is clearly derived from the 2006 Swedish
declaration of principles, but in a more actual and concrete way.

As I said, we lack time to get involved in the heated debates about
the Parliamentary group (hey, let's try to get *one* seat already,
that should be our primary goal shouldn't it?). Personally speaking
(again), I think although principles are important, what count most is
people, not symbols. I'm fully confident that no matter the wording,
no matter the details, everyone among us is aiming for the Greater
Good, and will stand for our common values in any situation.

The French Parti Pirate (if I can speak in its name) has always found
itself in complete harmony with the other pirate parties we've met or
heard about. Getting a (small) ability to act at an European political
level is a *huge* step forward, and we're really looking forward to
helping you guys achieve that.

Having been involved for more than two years in the French Parti
Pirate, I have often been surprised by our own ability to find a
consensus even after months of internal arguments; I expect it will be
the same here. I'll let you know if there are other noticeable
reactions among the French pirates; anyway I'm glad to see how hard
you guys have been working.

Cheers,
Valentin