[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto Reloaded

Ole Husgaard pirat at sparre.dk
Thu Jul 3 17:53:03 CEST 2008

aloa5 skrev:
> Ole Husgaard schrieb:
>
>> Nobody ever talked about joining other parties. We talk about joining a
>> parlamentary group, if we do not get enough seats to form our own group.
>> Groups in the EU-Parliament are not political parties.
>>
> We talk about a type of coalition (only without fighting about every point).
>
> Did you ever notice this? :
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_political_group#Heterogeneous
> "" A Group is assumed to have a set of core principles ("affinities" or
> "complexion") to which the full members are expected to
> adhere....October 4, 2001.[84] Since then the requirement that Groups
> have a coherent political complexion has been enforced (as ITS later
> found out), and "mixed" Groups are not expected to appear again."

According to the rules there has to be some political affinity, but how
much is never defined. The purely technical group was disbanded because
the members denied having any political affinity. In chapter 4, rule 29,
you can read: "Only when this [having political affinity] is denied by
the Members concerned is it necessary for Parliament to evaluate whether
the group has been constituted in conformity with the Rules."

As soon as we get a group to accept our core issues there is some
political affinity between us and the group.

Please note that there is no requirement that members of a group agree
on everything. That is actually quite rare, as the groups are loose
coalitions of political parties.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.