[pp.int.general] Is everyone asleep on this list, or is it just me?

Bernhard Schillo b.schillo at gmx.net
Thu Jul 17 01:03:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

i discussed that in the german pirate party. Sorry that i didn't reported here. In my opinion there are following
reasons:

- the pirate party is very young and the international or european networking and communication between the pirate
parties is not (yet) at its best.
- the time between your posting and the decision was very short.
- the extension of copyrights of performing artists is a very special theme.

In Germany we have the following situation: Very much people are in the party because of the privacy issue and have
no experience with the copyright debate. And the structures in the party are not really effective at the moment, we
are trying to improve that.

What kind of statement are you suggesting? In my opinion the peforming artists should have same rights as composers,
but the copyright for composers has to be shortened. But (at least in germany) we have no concrete suggestion in our
program, how long copyright should last, we only say, that it has to be shorter. So it's difficult to find a
concrete statement on that. I don't know if in other countrys are concrete statements on the duration of copyright,
and in the US the copyright is different anyway.

But perhaps it's not too worse, that we missed that, because at the moment we have to improve our image as
supporters and not enemies of artists a little bit, i think.

Perhaps we should have gathered the important informations and informed journalists, who have the same opinion as
the pirate party? No statement but trying to bring this theme in the public discussion, i mean. This could help us
in "the long tail". Or do you think we can still make a statement? If it's good, why not...

Regards,
Bernhard Schillo