[pp.int.general] Uppsala Declaration

\"Mårten Fjällstr\" \"Mårten Fjällstr\"
Sun Jun 29 17:13:36 CEST 2008

Hi,
we have now finalised a European Pirate Parties Declaration of a basic
plattform for the European Parliaments election of 2009, wriiten in
Uppsala. Or the Uppsala Declaration for short. The document is attached in
Open Office format (odt) and also added as text on the bottom of this
email.

A small pre-amble:
The paper is not to be viewed as a restriction on national parties, but as
support and startingpoint. If it needs to be translated or modified to
suit different target audiences, then go ahead and do so.

Yours,
Mårten Fjällström
Party Secretary
Piratpartiet, Sweden

-----
Uppsala Declaration

Policy

Copyright

Copyright is well out of touch with today's cultural landscape. It has
evolved into an obstacle to creativity, particularly grass roots
creativity. We need at least these changes to copyright law:

- Copyright is commercial
Copyright only regulates commercial activity. (Local law usually defines
"commercial activity" in sufficient detail.) Non-commercial activity is
never regulated by copyright law.

- Sharply reduced monopoly term
Copyright is a limited commercial monopoly that expires well within one
generation. The exact term is left to the local pirate party.

- No media or hardware levies
No levies to compensate for copying should be permitted - but we allow for
government scholarships or similar, which are not compensation. This way,
it's obviously unilateral, and the copyright lobby doesn't have the
implied right to accept or reject.

- Parliament writes copyright law, not the lobby
Technical measures that prevent consumers from using culture in ways
permitted by law, so-called DRM technologies, are outlawed.

- Derivative works always permitted
Instead of having derivative works normally prohibited except in quite
fuzzy fair use exceptions, under our copyright, derivative works are
always permitted (not covered by the original copyright), with exceptions
to this very specifically enumerated in law with minimal room for
interpretation (like "direct translations of a book").

Patents

The patent system of today has lost touch with its original intentions,
and has developed into something that is harmful to innovation and
economic progress in many areas.

Pharmaceutical patents raise many ethical concerns, not least in relation
to people in developing countries. They are also a driving force behind
increasing costs for publicly funded health care systems in the member
states.

We demand an initiative for a European study on the economic impact of
pharmaceutical patents,
compared to other possible systems for financing drug research, and on
alternatives to the current
system.

Patents on life (including patents on seeds and on genes) and software
patents should not be allowed.

Civil Rights

EU and it's member states should adhere to the highest standards of
democracy. Therefore such principles as transparent government, speedy and
fair trial and freedom of speech should always be respected. In this day
and age it is crucial to preserve the legal protection of citizens from
arbitrary exercise of authority. The EU has an important role to play in
shining a light on violations against civil rights in member states.

A democratic society needs a transparent state and non-transparent
citizens. The citizens should be able to freely gather to formulate and
express their opinions without fear of government surveillance. To expand
this to an information society the right to anonymity in communication
must be expanded. Therefore the secrecy of correspondence should encompass
all digital communication.

Votes Strategy

It is the collective consensus of the gathered European Leaders that with
the scarce resources of a new founded contender party, those resources
must be focused on a well identified front bowling pin. Statistical data
states that election participation has been on a continual down slope for
the past decade and a half for first-time voters, while at the same time,
the core support for our issues are in the 18-30 age range. This data is
supported by membership demographics.

Therefore, the identified key catalyst target group is university
students. Previous experience from elections where Pirate Parties have
participated show that we are unusually strong at technical universities;
up to ten times the national average. We need to broaden this scope to all
universities. Universities are ideal in that they are a concentrated
recruiting ground with people who are generally passionate about what they
take part in.

Using Sweden as a template for numbers, assuming that these numbers are
similar across other European countries with Pirate Parties, there are
300k university students. 100k votes are needed to get into the European
Parliament. This means that we would need 33% of the votes of the
university students, which is not a realistic number. Therefore, we must
regard universities all across Europe as a recruiting ground for activists
and ambassadors, who recruit voters in their turn. For example, there are
another 125k 18-year-olds not yet in university, but who usually have
friends there. There are friends, relatives, and social circles.

In other words, the key is to supply political passion about the issues to
young people who would otherwise typically not vote at all, and encourage
them to become recruiting ambassadors in their turn. There is no
identified difference here between different political issues of ours.

To accomplish this, we need to supply these ambassadors with confidence,
rhetoric and, where possible, political material to distribute in turn.
This is a logistical challenge that needs to be met by each individual
European Pirate Party.

EP Strategy

In the European Parliament, it is the party groups that are the key to
getting influence. Once elected, we will discuss with the groups that
could be of interest, to determine which group is closest to us, and join
that group.

Inside the group, we will do our utmost to persuade the other members of
the group to join our position on the issues that fall within our
political platform. In return, we´ll listen to the advice of the group on
all other issues, and vote with the group unless we have some strong
reasons not to.

When we are approached by lobbyists and other parties on issues that are
outside the Pirate platform, we will refer them to the relevant person in
the group and encourage them to make their case to him. This will allow us
to focus on the issues that we really care about.

The decision making process in the EU is very complex, and in order to
keep on top of what is happening we will need the support of the internet
community. The Pirate movement is a grass roots movement that builds on
the involvement of many activists working together using modern
information technology. This way of working will be a strength that we can
use to our benefit once elected.

While working with different issues in the EU, we will keep in mind the
principles that we think should be the guiding stars of the EU itself:

- Subsidiarity
Decisions should be taken as close to the citizens as possible. The EU
should only handle issues that cannot be handled by the individual member
states themselves.

- Transparency
The decision making process in the EU today works in a way that makes it
very difficult for both media and ordinary citizens to follow what is
happening and take part in the debate. This has to be improved. We need to
work towards more transparency and openness.

- Accountability
The European Parliament is the only institution in Brussels that is
directly elected by the voters. The role of parliament should be
strengthened, so that power is moved out of the back rooms and into the
open.