[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: Start of voting window (Amendments' changes after the one week extra time)

Natsu piratenatsu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 01:21:19 CET 2008

I must add something to this conversation. I know that now we're few and
working hard, and trying to make the best use of the little time we have. In
these conditions, I know it feels silly and uncalled for to have amendments
rejected for not meeting the deadline. It is frustrating, and I understand
we could simply let them pass.

Problem is, if we're serious in our political projects, if we really mean to
go to the European Parliament, we better get used to meet deadlines.  Now we
are all a bunch of friends in informal reunions and we can afford to make
deadlines loose. But if we get used to that, how serious are we going to be,
should people trust us and send us to the Parliament? Do you imagine what
would happen in the parliament if we sent amendmentes five seconds after the
deadline?

They would get rejected, for sure.

I know this is tremendously annoying. It's just that maybe we need to get
used to it. In real politics, everything you send after the deadline is
going to be rejected. Not a bad idea to start getting used to it.

Sorry, Anton. I'm sure you worked hard on those amendments and this must be
frustrating. But if we all are going to learn this lesson, I'd rather have
us all learning it here than in the Parliament, where something even more
important may be at stake. I must remark that this isn't meant to dismiss
anyone's work, or to undervalue it. We all know we put time we sometimes
don't have and effort in working for Pirate Party International. It's just
that we better get used to these facts of politics, the sooner the better.
Do you imagine what would happen should voters give us their trust, and we
commited the very same mistake when their rights were at stake at
Strasbourg? They'd feel insulted.

So, please don't see this as an attempt to undervalue anyone's hard work.
It's just part of the training for the work we'll be doing next stage.

Greetings everyone,

Isabel

> I do not question your talent in this matter, and you have certainly
> made a valuable effort in organizing this project. If nobody else
> objects to rejecting these amendments (16-18), I will accept that. It's
> just that I think things like these are a bit silly.
>
> And yes I am fully aware of that I agreed on the new deadline. To
> elaborate on the condition - I was surprised by the unplanned
> lengthiness of a party event yesterday, leading me to miss the deadline
> by around 90 minutes.
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> Anton Tamminen
> International Secretary, Member of the Board
> Piraattipuolue - The Pirate Party, Finland
> http://www.piraattipuolue.fi

Isabel María Guzmán Miranda

Coordinadora del comité sectorial de Cultura y Derechos de Autor