[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: Finally, amendments showdown

Anton Tamminen anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi
Tue Nov 11 15:26:06 CET 2008

As an anarchist and communist by heart, I suggest you end this
meaningless quarrel.

The Pirate manifesto isn't an anarchist manifesto, and even if I'd wish
of all my heart that the pirate movement was an anarchist movement that
would change the world by taking down the government, it is not. It is a
pirate movement, a movement that aspires to change the way we do
democracy in the digital age to bring it closer to the true ideals of an
equal democracy in the literal sense of power of the people - ideals
that our by almost-random-process elected masters have long forgotten.

There is no need for anarchism in the manifesto, simply because not all
of us want to take it to that level. Government will always yield us
trouble, but not all are prepared (in a number of ways) to live in
anarchy, or even prepared enough to know how to preserve anarchy (the
hardest part). Let's agree on all that is common to us, for the good of
humanity. Anarchy becomes a meaningful topic of discussion only after
we've turned the current tide.

United we stand, divided we fall.

--
Anton Tamminen
International Secretary, Member of the Board