[pp.int.general] European Elections

Mårten Fjällström marten.fjallstrom at piratpartiet.se
Fri Sep 26 01:12:58 CEST 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:27:40 +0200, Andrew Norton
<andrew.norton at pirate-party.us> wrote:

> 9 months to the election, give or take. We need to make sure we're all
> working together, I'd like, if possible, for all parties to tell me if
> they're getting involved in the EU election or not. We have to know if
> we even ahve enough countries participating to make our own group.
>
> If you are, we need to start collecting together info, and working
> together. So, the status you're at, if you're collecting signatures for
> qualification (how many you have, how many you need, and by when) do you
> have candidates, and maybe what issues you think we can target in your
> country.
>
> What am I saying, you're all smart, you get the idea :-)
>
> just the yays and nays for now, and we'll work from there.

That would be a yay from Sweden. We are right now in the end of process of
deciding how we decide the ballots. We are aiming at deciding the ballots
before the end of the year, which is well before the official deadline in
Sweden (13th of Mars).

Sweden has a proportional system of alloting the seats, and a 4% threshold
before you get any seat. With 19 seats, the current number of parties and
the algoritm for seat distribution this yields one seat when you pass 4%
and after that about one at 10%, one at 15%, but it really matters how the
distribution is among other parties. With the current participation rate
in the EP elections we would need about 100 k votes to pass the threshold.
We got 35 k in 2006 and a similar amount in the school mock election. If
we can mobilise those and 30 k more we are in. So we have a realistic aim
of one seat. As to gaining those votes, we are pretty much following the
votes strategy from the Uppsala Declaration, quoted below for your
convenience.

In general, the rules are national and though the election is pan-EU at
least here the election is mostly national.

Regards,
Mårten Fjällström
Party Secretary
Piratpartiet

"Votes Strategy

It is the collective consensus of the gathered European Leaders that with
the scarce resources of a new founded contender party, those resources
must be focused on a well identified front bowling pin. Statistical data
states that election participation has been on a continual down slope for
the past decade and a half for first-time voters, while at the same time,
the core support for our issues are in the 18-30 age range. This data is
supported by membership demographics.

Therefore, the identified key catalyst target group is university
students. Previous experience from elections where Pirate Parties have
participated show that we are unusually strong at technical universities;
up to ten times the national average. We need to broaden this scope to all
universities. Universities are ideal in that they are a concentrated
recruiting ground with people who are generally passionate about what they
take part in.

Using Sweden as a template for numbers, assuming that these numbers are
similar across other European countries with Pirate Parties, there are
300k university students. 100k votes are needed to get into the European
Parliament. This means that we would need 33% of the votes of the
university students, which is not a realistic number. Therefore, we must
regard universities all across Europe as a recruiting ground for activists
and ambassadors, who recruit voters in their turn. For example, there are
another 125k 18-year-olds not yet in university, but who usually have
friends there. There are friends, relatives, and social circles.

In other words, the key is to supply political passion about the issues to
young people who would otherwise typically not vote at all, and encourage
them to become recruiting ambassadors in their turn. There is no
identified difference here between different political issues of ours.

To accomplish this, we need to supply these ambassadors with confidence,
rhetoric and, where possible, political material to distribute in turn.
This is a logistical challenge that needs to be met by each individual
European Pirate Party."