[pp.int.general] Free french Compil' Pirate Vol.2 online

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 23:17:47 CEST 2009

2009/4/10 Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com>:
> Unclear, let's revise:
>
> It is a temporary victory, they are working on a revised proposal that will
> be voted for on the 28th of April and the main reason why they voted NO is
> related to the last minute addition that the disconnected user would still
> have to pay the monthly Internet provider fee although it is closed down
> since the provider should not suffer as Michel Thiollière so nicely put it.

Absolutely -- which is why, as I explained in a long post (in French)
on our blog to answer Rick's remark, there's no point in being
optimistic right now.

I'm not sure that this proposal, that banned Internet users still
would have to pay, led the parliament to vote against the law. It was
more of a plain political trick; I think the left-wing MPs were just
happy to take advantage of  the lack of government-related opponents.
It does happen sometimes (particularly when it's late on the evening,
or while, like this time, everybody is out having lunch).

Actually, the point of knowing whether a banned person would have to
pay or not, has its importance. If it's accepted, the ISP will be
happier than if it's not; and they will probably be more helpful in
the pirates hunt, but on the other hand, making someone pay a company
for a service he doesn't get is hardly compatible with our legal
background. At first, that's what made the National Assembly reject
this point, but then the Senate said "we don't care, let's just do it
anyway". It was indeed kind of rude, but it happens everyday with this
government, and does not usually prevent laws from being voted.

Valentin