[pp.int.general] Let us organize a study session!

Patrick Mächler v/o Valio valio at visionsinteractive.ch
Sun Aug 2 18:40:29 CEST 2009

Dear pirates,

What would you think of organizing a study session for young people
(mostly pirates) for about a week, that would be almost free for all
participants, except for a small fee of about 45€?

======================
1. WHY SHOULD WE CARE?
======================

I was recently at a study session that was organized by a ANSO, a nordic
LGBT union at the Youth Center in Budapest by the Council of Europe
(CoE). The CoE supported them in every way you could think of;
financial, organizational and last but not least shelter, food and
ticket refunding for all participants.
I will remember that as a really great experience.

To make things clear: The CoE is that organization that is concerned
with the European Convention on Human Rights; it has no direct
connections to the European Union. Almost all European countries are a
part of it.

The CoE does support topics which are on our agendas, take a look
http://www.coe.int/aboutcoe/index.asp?page=nosActions&sp=11#action11
http://www.coe.int/aboutcoe/index.asp?page=nosActions&sp=8#action8

In my view that would be a real opportunity for us on an organizational
and a political level.

==================
2. WHAT IS NEEDED?
==================

We would need to create a team which
* fills out a funding application
* gets in contact with the CoE
* creates a program for the study session
* and executes that program in the study session

There are some criteria which we would have to met of course to get
accepted.

--- quote ---
Activities can only be awarded if they are truly international or
multilateral projects, which
• Involve participants who are residents in at least 8 member states of
the Council of Europe, limiting participants coming from one country to
20% of the total. Up to a maximum of 15% of the participants may come
from non-member countries;
• Have a majority of participants between 18 and 30 years of age (with a
maximum of 25% over the age of 30) who can act as multipliers of the
results of the work done during the activity;
• Strive to achieve a geographical and gender balance.
--- /quote ---
For detailed information, take a look here http://tinyurl.com/how-to-ss