[pp.int.general] Next PPI Conference in Brussels!

Eric Priezkalns eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk
Sun Aug 2 19:49:24 CEST 2009

Guys,

A word of advice.  One mistake that voluntary organizations make is to
focus on things like governance (who gets to attend, who gets to vote,
how often you meet) at the expense of purpose (what you intend to
achieve).

For this reason, before this conversation goes much further, I would
like to ask anyone interested to clearly state what they think a PPI
committee, a PPI conference, and any other PPI entity/organization/
event is intended to achieve.  Can we generate a common agreed list,
that briefly and clearly lists somewhere between four and twelve goals
to be satisfied by the PPI?  I say this now, because people being
unclear about what is meant to be achieved is a common and fundamental
reason for why activities like this fail in practice.  Identifying the
purpose is also something that can and should be resolved at the very
beginning, before other planning takes place.  That way, you can plan
to fulfill the purpose.  Choices like who to invite and how decisions
get made will probably be different for different kinds of goals.
However, I am currently very unclear about what the PPI is meant to
achieve.

Best regards,

Eric