[pp.int.general] Dutch platform internet security

W Tovey will.tovey at pp-international.net
Wed Dec 9 01:47:20 CET 2009

In the UK we have had something similar for years; the Internet Watch
Foundation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Watch_Foundation)  was
founded in the 90s and maintains a blacklist of sites considered to be
"potentially illegal" (originally child abuse images, now also racist
and "obscene" material - the latter defined by the rarely used Obscene
Publication Acts 1959/64). They are technically a charity with no
official ties to the government. They are answerable to no one. Their
legal status is dubious (due to not being a law enforcement agency) as
they presumably need to view the material before blacklisting it, and
there is no shortage of other criticisms (and incidents, such as the
Wikipedia mess). As far as I know, they haven't moved against "regular"
porn sites ... yet (and only have around 450 sites in total).

For now, their service is voluntary; ISPs have the choice of subscribing
to their list (although the list itself is kept secret and often when
trying to access a blocked page a simple 404 error is given, rather than
a proper warning). As far as I know, all the major ISPs subscribe, and
the list covers about 95% of UK internet users (although our
further/higher education network isn't covered). It is one of the thing
that PPUK will be working on (although I think mainly about making it
more transparent and accountable).

-Will (PPI/PPUK)