[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Thu Jan 15 03:17:57 CET 2009

> Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> Thx4 your since comments.
>> Some preliminary answers.
>> First, my schedule simply did not allow me to react earlier.
>
> So, just because you've been 'too busy' (we're ALL busy people) and
> finally found time in your schedule for us, we're supposed to drop what 12
> people have worked on quite a bit?
"What two people can do in two weeks, three people can do in three weeks."
More people is not always efficient.
Besides, I believed it was in good hands. Well, I don't want to blame
anybody, but - as I already said - the result is less than ideal.

>> Second, w8&c, the text I have in mind will be less rather than more
>> legalistic. It is difficult, but I sincerely believe one must get
>> directly to the point.
>
> Great, you believe that. We, the many people that actually believed enough
> in this to make time, at the appropriate time, and make the document
> structured the way we believe it should be done.
Sorry, I did not want to offend anybody. I think it is a very bad idea to
start with human rights.

> A manifesto as an appealing text? the current manifesto document is fairly
> appealing. it's just not written as a news article or press release. We
> write a press release to go with it, and journalists write the articles.
> The structure it's in now, is the proper structure for this type of
> document.
The first thing to do now is to make a kind of declaration that explains the
PP direction. A formal document for reference purposes is something else. I
don't know for which document the term "manifesto" is appropriate. The
former document should certainly be appealing to a broad public.

>> Fourth, should law play a role for a law maker? It my sounds
>> contradictory, but - to make a long story short - yes, in order to
>> prevent statements that will disqualify the PP *immediately* as
>> unrealistic. Imho the challenge is rather to make very nasty proposals
>> that still fit into any conceivable framework.
>
> You're still applying logic, to an area where logic does NOT work.
Sometimes I get the impression that there are two different streams: one
aims at "radical" reform, making proposals unlikely to be accepted by
anybody else, in the hope that political majorities eventually will take PP
considerations into account, the other aims at proposals that are more
likely to be accepted by a majority, but simply have not been made so far
due to the lack of interest in "intellectual property" in the past. There is
a lot to do in the latter field, and it would be a pity if opportunities to
make real change in this field are missed because of a forcus on the former
type of proposal.
Activists imo can voice pretty radical opinions, but politicans are required
to contribute to the country's governance. It is their oath.
>> Finally, the Dutch PP is close to dead, but I try to involve people from
>> ScriptumLibre. Remmebr that in NL it is relatively easy to found a new
>> political party - so I feel a responsibility.
>
> Well, is it dead, or not? If it's dead, then there's no dutch party to
> sign anyway, if it's not dead, then Samir is still the head, no? That's
> logic.
There is no formalised (registered) association, and there is no board.
Samir reads this and if he disagrees, he will say so. The only thing I know
for sure is that he took over the maintenance/development of the website
from Leon Burg.