[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sun Jan 18 08:40:03 CET 2009

17 jan 2009 kl. 11.06 skrev Reinier Bakels:

> the present manifesto's start from a legal perspective by putting
> human rights first

Have you actually read the Pirate Manifesto drafts lately? I think you
have formed an opinion about the contents of the drafts through your
endless discussions on this list that you have forgotten what it
actually says. And it is about this distorted image of the manifesto
drafts that you are talking about.

 From draft A (draft B and C are identical, except for different
formatting). I chose draft A because it illustrates my point most
clearly in this case, although I normally prefer the formatting in
draft B.

> Full democracy can only be achieved through defending civil rights
> and liberties by protecting the rule of law. This is the true
> foundation of democracy. By defending five basic human rights:
>  * freedom of speech
>  * privacy
>  * presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial
>  * freedom from discrimination, and equality before the law
>  * the right to life and moral and physical integrity.
> For understanding the context of the last point, we can say that
> everyone has the right to life and to physical and moral integrity,
> and under no circumstances may be subjected to torture or to inhuman
> or degrading punishment or treatment and may not in any way be
> discriminated against on account of birth, race, sex, religion,
> opinion or any other personal or social condition or circumstance.

There is no specific legalistic argument made about the entire body of
any human rights legislation, there are five specific aspects to basic
human rights in a purely philosophical perspective put forward.

So please stop arguing with everyone that the Pirate Manifesto starts
with a legalistic view on Human Rights, until you have re-read the
actual manifesto proposals carefully, word for word, trying to ignore
your preconceptions. And only post criticism of the manifesto by
quoting exactly the passage you're criticizing. Otherwise, this is not
a discussion about the manifesto, but instead a discussion on pirate
political strategy in general or about personal opinions.

If you have forgotten, you can find the pirate manifesto drafts
through https://int.piratenpartei.de/Pirate_Manifesto_Final_Drafts

Debate about the actual contents of the Pirate Manifesto draft is on-
topic on this list, at least until a manifesto has been chosen. And I
think such discussion should continue, as long as there is new
arguments added to the discussion. I have seen a lot of posting from
you lately Reiner, which much take a lot of time for you, but I still
haven't seen your proposal for amendments to the Manifesto. It is
already almost too late to submit it, but don't compound the error
further.

Debates about the personal opinions and differences about
interpretations about pirate philosophy, and whether a legalistic
approach to human rights is useful to our movement might be
interesting for a short time, and I have participated in the
discussion for a few posts myself, but in the extent that it is
currently discussed it is definitely off-topic.

I stopped posting regularly in this discussion when I realized I
didn't have anything new to add to the discussion beyond what I had
already posted. And I only post in these discussions when I have
something new to say. Almost everybody else posting to this list seems
to be capable of showing the same restraint. Why is this so difficult
for Reiner and Carlos?

And Carlos, how do you have time to actually be chairman of your party
and to do actual party related work with all the cyclical posting that
you're doing on this list? It must be very time consuming for you also.
--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.