[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Will Pomes pomescollege at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:57:42 CET 2009

Per Von Zweigbergk wrote:
> As such, I think that there is no problem to use the abbreviation PP when
> referring to a single party where that abbreviation is not yet used by
> another party, and I also don't think there's a problem to say things like
> "European PPs" when talking about Pirate Parties in general. However, when
> referring to a specific party, like PIRATA for example, everybody on this
> list should already be aware of the fact that the abbreviation PP is already
> taken in Spain, and therefore to say "Spanish PP" would be confusing and
> even disrespectful if the mistake were repeated in specific reference to the
> Spanish party.
>
> I do however see a problem with talking about the international pirate
> movement as PPI, because I'm sorry, I don't see the international pirate
> movement represented in this organization. What I see is an effort to
> coordinate different parties representing this movement in different
> countries, which in itself is a worthwhile goal, but that is not the same as
> carrying out actual politics. This has to be done by national PPs and it is
> there the actual movement is taking place in reality.
>
> To refer the international pirate movement as "PPI" is to inflate the
> importance and scope of this organization. But I also think that "PP
> movement" is bad terminology. I prefer and suggest "pirate movement" when
> talking about the general phenomenon, not about the organization behind
> them.
>
> --
> Per von Zweigbergk
>
> VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i Sverige,
> avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
> WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is intercepted
> by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.

+1 behind nomenclature 'pirate movement'
(or for ease and accuracy of translation between languages
Organization of Pirates (imo, feel free to contradict), or some
equivalent.)

He is right about this not so much being an organization about the
movement internationally, so much as a group about coordinating the
arrival upon the world stage of such efforts. (i hope that makes
sense.)

However I disagree that this group does not represent the
international community of our movements. Any community engaging in
such varied and gross discussions (gross used in the sense meaning
"the whole thing, without deductions") on the topics we care about
represents our community (the international one), at least from a
media perspective, and in the sense that I think we are just about the
only people who stand a reasonable chance of uniting them and creating
meaningful change.
(Challenge me on this paragraph, please; Point out the faults in my
logic, if they are present, tell me where I diverge into rambling,
etc. I love opportunities to learn from those wiser than I.)

But more people lurking this list wouldn't (in most circumstances at
least) a good thing.