[pp.int.general] Reinier & Helsinki.

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat Jan 24 20:03:56 CET 2009

> Piraten Partij chose him to represent them, as they thought he would
> accurately voice their opinions. So his judgment must be sound in
> their eyes.
>
> He feels that you will also accurately voice the opinions of those who
> elected him, the members of Piraten Partij.
>
> Thus, regardless of recognizing the position or the title, you must
> accept that he (and thus, you) represents at least the members of the
> group who voted for him.
>
> I hope that my supposition is accurate.

Effectively you are right. Formally, it is the general assembly of an
association that makes the decisions beyond daily management. Unless decided
otherwise, a chaiman has only a limited competence, basically to run the
daily business (with other members of the board). The precise limits of his
competence are subject to interpretation - but for the sake of argument it
is not unlimited.

In sum, I value Samir's agreement, but formally it is not decisive.

Note that the law of associations also varies by jurisdiction. In NL, it is
regulated in art. 2:26-2:52 of the Dutch Civil Code.

reinier