[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sun Jan 25 11:36:39 CET 2009

25 jan 2009 kl. 00.45 skrev Carlos Ayala Vargas:

>> Their abbreviation isn't PP, it's EPP-ED.
> You said European PP, and I showed what nowadays stands as European
> PP, specifically in the Europarliament. As I said in my comment to
> Will, it's essential for PIRATA to leave explicit distances between
> European PP and European pirate parties.

Read the e-mail you quoted from again. I did not say "European PP"
referring to a hypothetical European Parliament party group, I said
"European PPs" referring to European Pirate Parties in the collective
sense. (European in this context referring to the country in which
they operate, not the fact that they operate on the level of the
entire European Union.)

Anyway, the point is moot, there is no current Europarl party group
for pirate parties, and there likely won't be in the near future. The
strategy of the Swedish (pp) will be to join a pre-existing and
respected party group, and try to influence from the inside.

Therefore, no "European PP" exists, but when it does, it would be wise
to find some abbreviation for it that does not clash with EPP-ED.

It might even be a good idea to name a Europarl party group something
different. Who knows. But that day is not yet upon us, or even close.
Because there is a possibility that some European PP might name itself
not a "pirate party" but still sympathize with our ideals. I have a
vague memory of a party in Finland that was like that (but I have not
heard anything about them since, I think Piraatipuolue basically took
over -- some Finn might know more). And who knows what PPNL will be
called once it is formed. And there may be others. The word "pirate"
does not carry the exact same meaning and non-negative connotations in
every language and country.

For reference, I include a translation about what Swedish (pp) top EU
candidate Christian Engström wrote about this. (Taken from http://christianengstrom.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/piratpartiets-strategi-i-europaparlamentet/)

> In the European Parliament it is the party groups that are key to
> getting influence. Once we have taken a seat in Parliament, we will
> discuss with the groups that seem relevant in order to determine the
> group closest to us in our questions, and join the group.
>
> Inside the group, we will do our utmost to persuade the other
> members to adhere to our positions on the issues that are within our
> political platform. In return, we will take the advice of the group
> in all other matters, and vote with the group if we do not have
> strong reasons against.
>
> When we are approached by lobbyists and others in matters outside
> the Pirate Party's platform, we will refer them to the right person
> in the group and ask them to take it up with him. In this way we can
> focus on the issues we are really passionate about.

More concrete speculation about "groups that feel relevant" can be
found on another page. (Taken from http://christianengstrom.wordpress.com/pp-om-eu/)

--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.