[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sun Jan 25 17:56:02 CET 2009

25 jan 2009 kl. 14.56 skrev Carlos Ayala Vargas:

> it's about:
>
> - a well known entity already called European PP (Spanish PP is a
> part of it)
> - a pirate party called PIRATA
> - PIRATA trying to avoid confusion between Spanish PP and itself,
> not just in the national scope, but also in the international scope -
> and I can supply all of you with dozens of links that would prove
> that not only the /PPirata/ trick exists, but also people laugh at
> the very PPI URL (pp-international.net); thus, I have no doubt on
> calling us the European pirate parties /European PP/ would be really
> negative to us

That depends in what context. In the context of an internal mailing
list (I consider this mailing list to be internal to PPI, even though
it is public) I don't think this is important. Abbreviations exist to
make reading and writing easier for the people in a certain group, and
it is usually apparent from context, what you are talking about.
(Obviously because the amount of discussion about these abbreviations,
it seems they have failed in their goal, though.)

In the context of external communications it might well be useful to
avoid using the abbreviation "PP", but as it is, we're now stuck with
"PP International" as a name, and the web page makes many references
to PP. (Even take a look at the e-mail address for this list. So, what
do you suggest? Renaming PPI? And in that case to what? Or at the very
least change the URL? (Changing the URL can be done, the old one
redirecting to the new site. But I'm not technically responsible for
the domain nor the PPI web site.)

Maybe we can use "IP" to confuse people talking about Imaginary
Property -- it could stand for International Pirates. ;-) But then we
also confuse people talking about IP addresses...

> Maybe in Sweden this doesn't happen, so this may sound pretty
> bizarre to you. The thing is, whether you believe me or not, it
> happens in Spain:
>
> http://meneame.net/story/partido-pirata-recibe-apoyo-masivo-suecia/1#comment-18
> http://meneame.net/story/video-sobre-recogida-firmas-para-partido-pirata-cara-presentarse-elecc/1#comment-55
> http://meneame.net/story/video-sobre-recogida-firmas-para-partido-pirata-cara-presentarse-elecc/1#comment-74
> http://meneame.net/story/video-sobre-recogida-firmas-para-partido-pirata-cara-presentarse-elecc/1#comment-77
> http://meneame.net/story/video-sobre-recogida-firmas-para-partido-pirata-cara-presentarse-elecc/1#comment-82
> etc, etc, etc

I don't read Spanish unfortunately. I can read Swedish and English
well, and I can also read some French, Polish and Dutch. But not
Spanish. So I tried to use Google Translate to read the comments, but
to be honest I didn't really get very much out of it. Google Translate
is notoriously bad at translating especially forum comments.
--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.